• TCIA

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Either

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Jack

Treehouser
COW HITCH - ISA vs. TCIA

There is a considerable discrepancy with how the Cow Hitch is shown in the publications by ISA and TCIA. The discrepancy is with the finish, that is, the better half and tucks.

In the ISA publication; The Art and Science of Practical Rigging (Donzelli & Lilly, 2001, pg53) , there is an illustration with instructions for tying the Cow Hitch.

Here is photo of how I was taught to tie the Cow Hitch (w. better half) which is consistent with the ISA illustration:

7005864775_55027944b9.jpg

full size image

There is an illustration that is virtually identical to the ISA diagram:

9073-cow%20hitch2.JPG

Here is a illustration from SherrillTree, while the 'tucks' are not identical, the direction of the half-hitch & tuck is the same:

StillsonHitch.jpg

That illustration is consistent with illustrations in:
The Tree Climber's Companion (Jepson, 2004, pg77);
and
PDF's from: Buckingham; Evaluation of current rigging and dismantling practices used in arboriculture, pg 167;
and
Videos from: SherrillTree & ISA (arborpod)

However:

In the TCIA publication; Best Practices for Rigging in Aboriculture (2011), there is an illustration (pg65) and a photo (pg60) of the TCIA 'cow' hitch where the half-hitch and the tucks, in the illustration, are shown opposite the ISA illustrations above. Below is a photo of a 'cow' hitch (w. better half) tied per the TCIA illustration:

6859746702_267c776da4.jpg

full size image

In fact, while I've seen the other methods, that TCIA publication is the only place I've seen that way of tying (finishing) the Cow Hitch.
So, then … the question is: Which Cow Hitch Finish is correct; ISA or TCIA? … OR … Either?

:)

Very interesting. I use all three just by accident I imagine. I probably use the style you listed by TCIA the most.

I don't think it matters. I have seen many ways including just once around the tree and spiraled around itself, they all seem to hold very easily.

I was taught to just tie the girth hitch part then 2-3 Half hitches on the standing part. I have done it that way many times for blocks and porty. I have also finished it like Jacks first pic just to use extra tail.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Same here...I just tuck the tail back to keep it out of the way, and protected from pinch under the block.

I think that one is a timber hitch, Page.
It is a timber hitch, but some knots are just combinations of other knots, after tieing the cow hitch some guys take the tail and spiral it around and end in a half hitch.

I'm like Bonner. Two half-hitches to finish it up.

My foreman is super lazy. He just tucks the end in ONCE, timber-hitch style, and it's never come loose on him; or so he says. God bless him.:what::roll:

I usually finish off with two half-hitches, and do whatever is easiest at the time to keep the tail out of the way. The TCIA method resembles mine, except they only used one HH.

If you look closely at the diagram from Jeff's book, (pics with green rope), the two pics don't agree. The large picture shows the tail finishing over the top and out the bottom, whilst the small pic of the finished knot shows the opposite. I don't see as how it makes one bit of difference how the tail is dealt with, so long as the HH is employed. The gripping/holding power of the knot doesn't extend past the HH, as far as I can tell.

Back