Converter

• Thread starter JohnB
  • Start date
  • Replies 15
  • Views 2K
Check the voltage from the hot side of one outlet to the hot side of the other. If you get 220v, your generator is split-wound, and yes... you can pull 220 from it. If you still get 110v, the generator is a single-coil type (both outlets are powered from the same coil), and no you can't.

Best bet is to just get a bigger gen head.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_9040_9040

Regarding that 220 adapter, you can make one easy enough, just remember that your maximum allowable amperage is 1/2 at 220 than at 110.

Check the voltage from the hot side of one outlet to the hot side of the other. If you get 220v, your generator is split-wound, and yes... you can pull 220 from it. If you still get 110v, the generator is a single-coil type (both outlets are powered from the same coil), and no you can't.

Best bet is to just get a bigger gen head.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_9040_9040

Regarding that 220 adapter, you can make one easy enough, just remember that your maximum allowable amperage is 1/2 at 220 than at 110.

Y I B!!! U are a fart smucker!!!:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well now I'm told that the generator like the one at northern tool and grainger are 5 kva and I need at least 15 kva so it not work at all.

WTF told you that? What's the nameplate amps at 220 on your welder?

15kVA is about 65 amps at 230 volts (single phase). I don't think your welder draws THAT much.

5.5kW is about 23 amps at 230 volts; probably adequate for most MiG and stick welding uses.

NeTree is correct. It will run most mig but probably in a stick application 3/32 rod would work best. 1/8 rod or larger would be a bit much of a pull. All the fancy pancy adapters do is combine two separate 110 circuts into one 220.

You could run a little bitty buz box with a 5 kva but that's about it . Like Rotax said the limit would be 3/32" fast freeze rods like 6013 or something .

You want cheap short duty welding in an emergency ? Series two 12 volt batteries togther ,no kidding . You can most likely burn 3/32" rod for about 15 minutes on a pair of fully charged batteries .Old plow boy trick ;)

Al, ya sure can... been there, done that. Works great in a pinch, albeit not too healthy for the batteries in the long run.

Rotax,

Dem lil 'lectrical things is a little basic cornpared to what I do all day now...

This is the program for a Siemens S7-200 PLC I'm putting together; it'll run the automatic spool changer I designed for some of the machines where I work.
8)

Going logging the rest of the week with a buddy though, just to get the itch out. :P

Back