Contractor drops tree on house

if you look at the tree on the ground/house you can see they made the backcut about a foot above the notch............... Man with all that heavy equipment there you would think they coulda got it........

Theres no way to know exactly what went wrong with that drop. When I work for my Uncle droppin trees, if there is ever a doubt in anyones mind something might not drop right, it gets climbed, a rope gets tied, or we get someone in there thats more skilled and experienced to do the job(a better climber than me). If I'd dropped a tree through someones house like that, I don't know how I'd live with myself, especially when its the home owner or a bystander that gets hurt, groundies and other workers know what they are getting themselves into.

This type of tree work is a great free advertisement for hiring professionals to do the job they are trained to do. That would be like a tree worker calling himself a plumber, stick to what you do right,and hire someone that can do that job.....

I wonder if the excavator was there or they brought it in for clean up.
If they used it to push then the operator sucked.
I've "directed" 1000's of trees after notching and most here would call it cheating but for me it's safer.
I am amazed every time I notch a tree by the folks here that do it for a living and finish it ,gives me the willy's every time I drop one with out the hoe.
I can almost hear a collective "TSK,Get the hellouta the way" from this forum as I stand and wonder how much of the back cut to make before I push and direct it.
As facinated by the work ya'll do I wonder if I missed a calling.
I sure would like to have more knowledge to go with all the saws I've accumulated in the last few years.
AAR,He did a fine job of Lay out and up,the down part seems to have escaped him.

Biggest mistake I've seen excavator ops make is pushing too fast; watch the top, and give it time to catch up and follow through, lest you blow the hinge and have zero control.

Another mistake that is commonly done, is to push with the side of the excavator bucket. A tree with back lean can easily slip by. I know that from experience...one experience. :roll:

A few years ago, a construction company hired me to remove 2 branches growing over a fence. The branches were about 18 inches in diameter and 20 ft. long and the tree was a mahogany about 75 ft. tall with a trunk DBH of 5 ft.

Once that was done, the excavator operator told me, "I got the rest." He dug a trench along side the tree trunk, reached up with the bucket and thumb and pulled the whole tree over.

The excavator was a Komatsu PC400. After cutting the trunk off, it yanked the huge base and root ball out of the ground with no problem. Very powerful machine.

That's how most lot clearance for construction is done around here. They then load it up in a big semi end-dump with the thumb and off it goes.

Back