Cold showers

We kind of have a Xmas tradition of sauna and a dip in the fjord.

Air temp was about -6c. Sauna temp was in the 90c’s. Sea temp was 1.5c according to Google.

Rapid immersion was the wisest way to get used to the cold followed by rapid climbing up a frozen ladder about 5 seconds later.

Damn it was cold and we had eaten about 2 hours earlier. I reckon to build up to 3 minutes I’d need an empty stomach.

Merry Christmas.

1b794d91-af56-4fd8-8e00-d7733616bbf8.jpeg

1db425f3-09f5-459b-8638-019181255ebe.jpeg

180aba79-fb67-4486-b79a-bfc2c2593689.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
🔥🔥🔥:dude:

Hitting a cold-water dip after a sweat lodge, sauna or hot tube soak is a fine and enjoyable thing...completely different than the stand-alone cold shower/tub soak or lake/ocean swim...at least to me.

It's the solid truth that people can be different from each other in a million ways, and this is just one fun example :).

Last edited:
Hitting a cold-water dip after a sweat lodge, sauna or hot tube soak is a fine and enjoyable thing...completely different than the stand-alone cold shower/tub soak or lake/ocean swim...at least to me.

It's the solid truth that people are different from each other in a million ways, and this is just one fun example :).
You gotta hammer in your pocket B? Cause you hit that nail square on the head. I came across this thread and thought "they're all retarded! How sad!" Then I thought about it...

I love the rain, maybe because I'm an Arizonan, so it's a rare treat. It starts sprinkling, I stop what I'm doing and go out in it. Same with the snow. I've gotta feel the storm.

So maybe I can see yalls perspective, though my glasses are scratched...

It's the solid truth that people can be different from each other in a million ways, and this is just one fun example :).
Your words are one hundo.

But, pretty much no one likes entering The Cold Water. I suspect you think you'd like it way less than most folks but I posit you'd find it no harder than most folks.

Hence. You got this.

Feel like beating up those arthritis symptoms? Feel like getting a fine natural high? Feel like having a sense of purification after you calm down a bit upon exiting?

You got this.

:dude: 🦍

I wonder if cold water immersion of hands might help arthritis in the hands, or if a person needs a systemic dunking.

@cory , you commented recently about being elderly. How's tree work in your 60's (asks the guy who is now 50)?

A cold shower isn’t that bad. The ice bath is different though. I don’t think anyone enjoys the actual act of being in there. It would be a mental battle every day. Cory might agree since he does that.

I wonder if cold water immersion of hands might help arthritis in the hands, or if a person needs a systemic dunking.
I've done that (just dunking the hands), it helps.
How's tree work in your 60's (asks the guy who is now 50?
Not that much different than in one's 50"s. Ya know, some days better than others, but yeah. I keep waiting for the bottom to fall out :O :lol:

Rich, I dunk one - two times/ week, not every day.

Move the tub outside, put it up on blocks, build a fire under it, and you'll really have something there :^P
I really don’t know what’s worse, extreme cold or extreme heat regarding water (personally). I want to want ice baths and hot tubs but this guy is just more for being middle of the road. 🤷‍♂️

Water was 50* F. Couldn’t make it three minutes. Very different feeling than jumping in for a swim. Not gonna lie. It’s almost painful. Feeling good now though

Feeling good now though
Awwwww yeah!

Good going, Rich!

50* is a good temp, one can get good results at that temp.

I see the fan, I thought you were going to do for some navy seal abuse and stand in front of it while cold and wet :O :lol:;):dude:

Btw, as Rogan points out, it is much easier to endure while you are talking, try it.

It's the artificial construct that really bothers me I think. I can stick my hands in a cold creek, or work in cold rain, and it doesn't bother me, but putting my hands in cold tap water to wash my hands is utterly repulsive. I've paddled whitewater with ice on my boat, kneeling in water that's just about freezing(in a wetsuit), and it didn't bother me at all, but I can't imagine lowering myself in a cold tub. I'd jump in Rich's fjord though. Strange differentiation. Not sure why it should be different, but it is.

The dunks in nature are far superior imo but cold tub in the driveway allows more reps due to convenience

If I take an entirely hot shower, I will exit the shower and promptly begin sweating like a whore in church, which completely destroys any progress I made while showering.

In order to eliminate this unpleasant reaction, I will start my shower somewhat hot and gradually ease myself into cold while I'm doing meh thing in there. By the time I'm ready to jump out, the water is borderline freezing and I will not sweat whatsoever.

Cold water submersion is believed to catalyze the production of endorphins, including endocannabinoids within the brain, which are also responsible for a "runner's high." It is also helpful in alleviating discomfort in sore muscles, but that's pretty common knowledge.

EDIT: It allegedly temporarily increases dopamine concentrations as well.

Last edited:
Back