CMI Single Rope Ascender mechanical backup

Graham's motorized ascender works on an echo power head. Drawbacks are that the dang thing is loud, and fragile. Hit it with a branch and things tend to break off.
I think Graham's web site is down right now, but you should take a look at his device.
There is a product sold now (sorry cannot remember the name) which uses an engine to lift and lower logs. Might want to check that out for ideas.

By using chest boxes, foot ascenders, and all the new rope climbing ascent systems, you can get up in a tree just as fast for less money than a motorized ascender.

Where motorized ascenders really work IMO is only for long ascents, say over 100'.

Using the GRCS with a drill bit adaptor, you spend the same amount of money that you would pay for your device, but you have a complete system for doing many different tasks on the job.

Their is a guy who invented a bunch of different tools for tree work. His web site used to be Vertical Pro. But he shut it down.
He had invented a ascender handle with an adjustable handle, a lowering block he called the 'lock block', which adjusted it's own friction, and also portable platforms for sleeping in.

Good guy, but the insurance issues shut him down.

Another point to consider is if you get a U.S. patent, it does not cover international. An international patent costs upwards of a million dollars.

Good luck with your invention!

---this topic is a derail?

Here's a pic of Graeme's moto-ascender...PC, I think you may be re-inventing the wheel, so to speak.

Attachments

• Graeme%20and%20Scotty.jpg
    Graeme%20and%20Scotty.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 124
WOW. Now thats wierd. Greames ascender and mine are very similar. He uses a different motor and gearbox but still similar. Does he have a US patent on this, I couldnt find one with my searches. What does it retail for ? Looks heavy too. Ive searched pretty extensively in the US market for patents and similar products but other than the atlas and another elect deal couldnt find anything, is his available in the US and if so how much and why doesnt everybody have one?

Just curious, Paul

Hey Paul! PCTREE! Take a look at the new threads further down the forum page, I think one has your name on it.
;)

I could be wrong Paul, but I think Graham made his ascender.

Here is a suggestion, attempt to contact someone else who has brought an invention to market.
Just sound them out to get ideas about the process and how it went for them.
Just an idea...

I don't think so, frans. I remember visiting the mfr's website...which is no longer active.

I tried patenting a slack tender once. It's a beautiful piece of equipment, but it looks like even if you do a ton of the work by your self (rather than relying on the legal patent experts) you could end up spending a couple thousand or a lot more just to get the patent. I would have to sell a TON of slack tenders to make back that money...much less start making a profit.

love
nick

Patent will run me about $25K:\: I have filled a disclosure document which just describes the invention and when I came up with it, This buys me 2 years to file actual patent. Even if somebody else patents it if my disclosure doc. preceeds theirs my patent voids theirs. SOOOO I have 2 year, well 18 months now to make cash to pay for patent...

This idea is so simple I cannt understand why its not already being made........Other Company no longer around.......Can we say litigation.....Yup I am Sceird.....BUT I LUV THE WRAPTOR. 2 weeks ago, in 1 week I had 2 customers ask about it after they saw me effortlessly glide up, a rope and wanted to invest in it! Now that made me feel good!;)

The Haultz lowering device comes to mind as an invention which did not fly.

Can't find their web site anymore, but the guy put alot into it.

The device is noisy and one of my buddies complained about the exhaust gases. I dont think that eaither complaint is valid, when you get up there you are going to fire up your 200t right???

As for the video, I need to spend some time and figure out how to post pictures first........Doesnt that inspire you Im trying to make a motorized ascender to pick YOU up but cannt even post pictures:|: Seriously though maybe this weekend I will have time to play on the computer, with a tree business a 2.5 year old boy and a 7 month old girl and the Wraptor project I dont seem to have 0too much free time, Go figure............

Back