Clinometer, measuring tool for tree heights. Suggestions?

I did some practice measuring this weekend. Had some precise measuring tools with me. I measured first with the SeeLevel app, then again with the Leica device. I compared the difference and found the app to be within +/- 2.4%

I'm pretty happy with that!

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A clinometer or a laser rangefinder could detect movement from a fixed location if you had a base measurement to compare with. But I would think that with that much movement failure would be eminent. Setting a hard point, like a small eye screw, that you can hang a plum bob from, can detect small movement and also verify a stable condition.

A tree will lean more in summer than winter, I'd say. Extra seasonal weight will bend things, right?

I'm going to have my phone in the tree. I can sight down with an app clinometer, if on pretty flat ground. Won't rely on/ ask a groundie say if a spar looks short enough, as a second opinion. Just pull out my phone.

A tree will lean more in summer than winter, I'd say. Extra seasonal weight will bend things, right?

Sean, things like that need to be considered and taken into account if applicable. In a large tree that is stable in the soil the lower trunk should move very little even in a wind storm and it will return to its original position if things are still good afterwards. A tree that has been leaning for a long time will have put on reactive wood to compensate for that stress and be even less likely to bend in that direction. Judging top movement can be harder depending on the species. Upward growers like most conifers will show new growth that is once again going straight up and is a good indicator that things have stabilized at the soil level. Good luck on judging decurrent trees with weeping growth patterns for top stability. For those it might be best to keep track of the trunk soil interface if that is where you think things will go wrong.

Yes, David. I'm just mentioning that the plumb bob must be set up with factors in mind, and not to judge any movement as death sentence. A plumb bob attached at 20' in leaning 5" dbh tree is different than in a 20" dbh tree.

If only embedded into bark, and not wood, you can get a false positive over time, too.

I have suggested a plumb bob to people, and agree with it as a monitoring tool.

Back