City licensing

simplypete

Treehouser
I got the call today from the local city forester that my license will be sent in the mail. I've been waiting a long time for this. What is your take on your local city licensing? Has it gotten you much more business? Did it open any unexpected doors? I think it just may help out quite a bit. I have been asked by several people if I was city licensed during estimates and never once did I land one of those estimates. I guess it depends on city but did anyone get a reference from their respective city's forestry department? How about storm clean up? I don't think Boise is very big, but with only 15 company's on the list I am feeling pretty good about this.

That sort of thing never gets asked about here. If you want to be legal you need to have it.

I dont understand how it would generate any bizz.

No such thing as city licensing here, at least in my locale. If there was, it'd just be a money-scam, anyhow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Idaho may be a little special in these regards. I could operate on private property and be completly legit before. I have insurance and pay the tax man, have a formed business. Now I can operate on public easment and city property. Also some of my estimates, it matters if I have the city behind me. I don't know maybe it is all just mumbo jumbo.

No such thing as city licensing here, at least in my locale. If there was, it'd just be a money-scam, anyhow.

I can see that. Half of my business in in a mountain town that do not require licensing. I don't think 50 dollars a year is much of a scam. I see it as one more hoop that the illegal operator will not want to jump through. Like I said before only 15 in Boise, Idaho.

Yeah, but this is Taxachusetts... if you can smoke it, drink it, eat it, or f__k it... we have a tax for it.

I know the City Forester and the folks who work there but have never bothered to get licensed with them. The city prunes their own trees and what ever credibility I've lost for not being on their list hasn't hurt my business. Still, why not. I have always intended to get licensed but I have never scheduled a job for them to come and scrutinize my work site. They've seen my trims and know my work, they just need to see that we are safe on our job sites.

If you adverteise or work in and town here, you need a liscense from that town, I have 8 or 10 of them. 2 cities also require pre approval to work in the right of way that has to be renewed annually, that doesn't cost but it's a bunch of stupid paperwork. I do get alot of referals from one city that I do alot of work for.

I know the City Forester and the folks who work there but have never bothered to get licensed with them. The city prunes their own trees and what ever credibility I've lost for not being on their list hasn't hurt my business. Still, why not. I have always intended to get licensed but I have never scheduled a job for them to come and scrutinize my work site. They've seen my trims and know my work, they just need to see that we are safe on our job sites.

Darin, I opted to have them meet me at Julia Davis and they watched as I climbed, cut and talked a bit about trees and life in general. After everything was done Dennis wanted to see one of my jobs so I sent him a address of a little diddy of a job and bota bing. It's been about 3 months since I started working on this. I also helped out the tree stewards when things were real slow with me. City hall just wants your address and contact, along with a 50 dollar a year fee. All in all I think it was worth it and maybe something more will come of it.

as in business license? I carry 5 or 6, each at about $200 a piece. annually. some of the cities check when a report is submitted, if you dont have a license, report gets rejected... talk about pissed off clients. :)

If you adverteise or work in and town here, you need a liscense from that town, I have 8 or 10 of them. 2 cities also require pre approval to work in the right of way that has to be renewed annually, that doesn't cost but it's a bunch of stupid paperwork. I do get alot of referals from one city that I do alot of work for.

I guess I'm a little optimistic for the referral thing. :) But I ain't holdin my breath.

Sounds like more of an approval list for the city to refer citizens there than a liscence to work there. I imagine you will get work from it, or at least bids from it

Some towns around us do but most don't. The one's that require it charge like 40 to 50 bucks a year. They put you on there bid list, not that it has done us any good. I am always under bid on there contracts. But we do a lot of residential work in these towns so you basically have to pay it to work there....:whine:

Some towns around us do but most don't. The one's that require it charge like 40 to 50 bucks a year. They put you on there bid list, not that it has done us any good. I am always under bid on there contracts. But we do a lot of residential work in these towns so you basically have to pay it to work there....:whine:

I was contemplating this. To bid jobs to break even just to get me out there and getting some good advertising. Of course it would depend on the job and the exposure. Do any of you take this aproach to bids on city work?

It's kinda funny a couple towns east of us, send out bid sheets every year for the city work. The funny part is the same guy gets the bid every year. And he is always just a couple hundred lower than the lowest bid. Kinda makes you wonder, I know it does me....:what: :X O-Well.

It's kinda funny a couple towns east of us, send out bid sheets every year for the city work. The funny part is the same guy gets the bid every year. And he is always just a couple hundred lower than the lowest bid. Kinda makes you wonder, I know it does me....:what: :X O-Well.

I guess the "good ol' boys club" does what is best for them.:/:

Can we say BUBBA SYSTEM?

As far as City licenses, here, if you want to be legal, you have to have them. It starts with the county and the moves down to the city's in the county. Sheeze, in our county alone we have 4 city's and 1 private development that require licenses. So that is 6 license;s to work in Monroe County. (Marathon, Islamorada, Layton, Ocean Reef, Key West) We are also have licenses up the east coast of Florida, to like West Palm Beach. Even though we don't work up there any more, it was such a pain to get them, I keep them current.

nice fish, Gigi!

Raleigh gets $50/year out of me for a license, which allows me to work on trees affected by city ordinances. No other towns around here ask for one that I know of, but I have not asked them about it either.

We have to have one for each municipality we work in. i.e. each county, city, and township. We only have to pay for one, which is where our business is located. Something about double-taxation. You folks that are paying for multiple licenses may want to check into that. :/:

Business licenses=Money scams in my book. Why should you have to "buy" the "privilege" of working in someone's Domain? I never buy local business licenses until I'm "caught" and told that I "need" one. I suppose the municipalities feel justified in hiring a guy just to ride around and "reveal" to working folks just how much they "need" a license to work...

Just like vehicle registration...money scam. IF registration were the goal, every vehicle would be manufactured with a non-removable number ID plate installed. You'd go to the county throneroom, pay a one-time fee to have that ID number registered in your name, and that'd be it, unless you sold the vehicle. Instead, it's a never-ending stream of revenue for the county/state. Every year you have to pay your "registration". Mine's about $300 a year on the four that I tag. I have three that aren't tagged...and they run just fine without the tags, I've discovered.

...and they run just fine without the tags said:
lol....so true. I wish times were simpler. Anyone see a reset button anywhere around?

Back