Chipper 101

Simply Google it. And you'll find that flushing a hydraulic system ranges from insane care and specialty tools like a power flushing setup designed to cause turbulence to scrub the walls of everything, complete disassembly and cleaning by hand, or simply just draining it, break the lines and drain them, and clean the filter screen and replace the filters. It might not even have a filter, so you could add one if you wanted. If i were you i would run it and get it hot, then drain everything you can, including the hoses. Then you can clean screens and replace filters, then fill with some cheap fluid and run it awhile. After awhile check what it looks like, and maybe repeat. If something isn't working right maybe tear that component down and manually clean it, replacing everything that needs it, especially the seals and o rings.

You can see that the hydraulic system isn't that complex, and that since that's the case i would personally be inclined to run it and make some money with it. If something goes south you should be able to repair it without too much trouble, and so i would do a basic flush and then start running the crap out of it. If the tank is rusted and full of crap you can pull it and clean it, some clean larger gravel and soapy water or diesel in the tank, then you shake it which cleans a surprising amount of crap and rust out. Then you can coat it with products designed for that and you're good to go again. You know you have moisture in the hydraulic system because it looks like milk, so drain it and get new in there, then start using it and see what you got. It could be a problem, it could be condensation from sitting so long, machines don't like to sit. My .02.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The manual has this...

• Avoid hydraulic pump cavitation. Low oil levels or
cold start-ups will cause the hydraulic pump to cavitate.
Cavitation will ruin the pump and possibly the entire
hydraulic system. Cavitation only has to happen
once. This will start the pump on its way to ruin. Allow
hydraulic system to turn slowly for several minutes in
cold weather in order for hydraulic system to warm up.
Cavitation is not covered under warranty.

Going by memory, there's two levers on the machine. I'm guessing one for throttle, and the other for hydraulics. When the hydraulic lever is [off], does that allow a low flow of fluid through the system? What I'm getting around to, is draining the lines will put air in the system. Is that not a problem? Does it self purge while running in the [off] position?

Look for a place where water is getting in. Could be condensation. Could be a leak. My chip truck had a loose top cover, allowing water from the road into the gear oil of the manual transmission.

I'm thinking condensation, but I'll look it over. I think the tank's solid aside from the cap and the hose connections. Could be a beat cap.

My chipper sits outside, temps range from -6c to 35c over a year. It gets rained on and frost on it. My hydraulic oil is clear.
I thought yours looked milky as well but wasn't sure till the others chimed in.
Take up the offer of the hydraulic guy and get it changed, hydraulics run everything, make sure its a good as can be.

PS I feel bad for my chipper...it needs more than blue tarps over it, note to self: do better for your chipper Fi.

Yea, I'll start with a call. I wanted to wait til I can be standing right at the machine before I talk to him. I also want to look the machine over again, so I'm sure of what I'm dealing with. Some questions may be answerable with a more discerning eye. I guess right now, my big questions are "Flush with what?", and "How do I deal with the lines, and safely start the machine after flushing?"

Sometimes its just easier and cheaper to let a professional do it.
Kinda like what we always say about mechanics who own a chainsaw and want to drop their own trees.

I hear ya. I feel like equipment like this in a small(microscopic in my case) outfit almost requires the user to be able to handle maintenance and repairs themselves. Big companies have an in house mechanic, or can call in a company to pick the machine up, and use some other equipment they have in the meantime. I dislike mechanical work, and I'm not that good at it, but I feel like I have to do it in this case.

We'll see. I like John, and would like to have him as my official equipment mechanic. I'll have to see if he's interested.

I hear ya. I feel like equipment like this in a small(microscopic in my case) outfit almost requires the user to be able to handle maintenance and repairs themselves. Big companies have an in house mechanic, or can call in a company to pick the machine up, and use some other equipment they have in the meantime. I dislike mechanical work, and I'm not that good at it, but I feel like I have to do it in this case.

We'll see. I like John, and would like to have him as my official equipment mechanic. I'll have to see if he's interested.
He’ll do it - as long as his health will let him.

If you need it transported, hit me up. Does it require a 2” ball?

I spoke to John Rogers and he said he’d be more than happy to help with the chipper. He’s expecting your call at some point. He said you just change the hydraulic oil- no flushing. He spoke of the cavitation and said it’s a big deal but as long as the fluid comes out of a particular port, releasing all air, it will be fine.

He still has that willow mess that could be chipped to put it through its paces? Whatever you want.

That would be cool. I was gonna get everything ready to go, then invite you to the boss' place for a chipping party so we could get it figured out. He has an ornamental pond that's getting overgrown with trees, and I was gonna thin them out. He wants them all removed; says he's afraid of them breaching the liner. I kinda doubt that. It's lined with an industrial landfill liner. I burned my knuckles on it helping to install it 20 some years ago. Anyway, I was gonna start with a thinning. It'll look lame without trees at all. It's easy getting rid of them, but hard to put back.

But yea, chipping that willow would be just as good. The greasegun's supposed to be delivered tomorrow. The grease is still a week or two away, but I can buy a tube locally. I guess I'm also still waiting on a hydro filter, and need to order a strainer. I don't think the strainer's critical. Maybe take it out and swish it in some clean fluid will be good enough til the next proper hydro change.

Well, if John wants the willow chipped, we can do that first. I do need to get the fluid changed. Dunno how critical it is to get right on it. Maybe ask John. You can show him the pic in the OP, and see if he thinks running it for a little while would hurt anything. I have fluid. Just waiting for the filter.

Well, if John wants the willow chipped, we can do that first. I do need to get the fluid changed. Dunno how critical it is to get right on it. Maybe ask John. You can show him the pic in the OP, and see if he thinks running it for a little while would hurt anything. I have fluid. Just waiting for the filter.
I’ll let him know we can chip his willow. I will show him the picture of the hydro fluid.

Did you change the engine oil yet?

No, I haven't done the engine. I'm not too worried about that. The oil looked ok, and I can do that just about any time. That's one thing I am familiar with. I need to see if I can read a number on the filter, or get an exact model# on the motor so I can pickup a filter.

I do my own daily and operational maintenance, but not hydraulics.
I am fortunate though that we have a heavy equipment mechanic 2 minutes up the road from me in the village. Helps to live in a farming area :)

John and I used the 6” bandit chipper and put a 6” branch in. It turned sideways for the last 10” and jammed the disc. This action stalled the motor.

Is this a fluke or a fairly common occurrence with max capacity pieces on a disc style chipper? It seems like the disc turns the piece sideways during the chipping process. Is that normal?

The knives are fairly sharp

Can it be lessened with changing auto feed settings?

Attachments

• IMG_7902.jpeg
    IMG_7902.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
Back