chip truck bed

PCTREE

Treehouser
I just picked up a dodge 3500 with cummins dieseland am going to put a chip box on it. Whatever design I go with it will be alluminum to keep weight down and I can easily do a dump but would rather do some kind of walking bed/conveyor system to get them off. Anybody done this yet or seen it done??

Thanks Paul

Why would you rather go with the conveyor over a dump? Just curious is all I have a one tonne dump, but it's mainly just a back up or for when I want to keep wood seperate from chips. Let's see some pics!8)

As with most things tree related, simple is better. A normal dump bed will be your best bet. And also visit a spring shop and get 1-2 leafs added to your rear springs. Don't argue or try to justify, just do it. You will thank me later.
;)

I don't think those systems work well with the big wood. Great for mulch/whatnot.

I'd get a dumper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The reason I was thinking of this is to facilitate a dump body you have to have the 2 bed rails to mount all of the bed to which ends up raising the bed hight 8-12 inches. Lower center of gravity is better. I also thought it would be cool to be able to put wood on the back of the bed and then move it forward wih the conveyor......

I kinda figure this is a pipe dream but thought it was worth asking....

The reason I was thinking of this is to facilitate a dump body you have to have the 2 bed rails to mount all of the bed to which ends up raising the bed hight 8-12 inches. Lower center of gravity is better. I also thought it would be cool to be able to put wood on the back of the bed and then move it forward wih the conveyor......

I think you would be able to get by with a 4" rail with that size truck if you want to keep the load lower. We have always put a strip of wood between the metal rail and the truck frame to keep them from squeaking.

12" frame rails on a dump body for a 1 ton truck??? I've never heard of such a thing. You might want to go look around at some existing 1 ton dump trucks in your area so you can have a better idea of what you're wanting to implement.

And the walking bed / conveyor makes no sense from a practical standpoint. But then you won't believe that until after you try to build it.

If you put a conveyor on, after the first piece wouldn't the conveyor be blocked? If you want something like this, mount a winch onto your headache rack.

i have a 3/4 ton with a load handler "conveyer" and im building a dump bed this winter for it. dont waste your money, get a dumper

For what it's worth,I've seen a lot of 3/4 and one tons get overloaded.Frames bend,springs break,makes a hell of a mess.

One tons are a tad better than 3/4's but they still are a pick-em-truck frame.If a light truck is all you have,so be it but pay attention to how you load it.If you spring the frame the truck is pretty much toast.

My cheap skate buddy who is now retired used to load two skids of bricks in the back of a 3/4 ton Chevy.For those who don't know that is 4 tons.I replaced heaven knows how many sets of springs on those old jalopys.Masonary contracters are harder on equipment than tree service workers.That may sound hard to believe but true.

For what it's worth,I've seen a lot of 3/4 and one tons get overloaded.Frames bend,springs break,makes a hell of a mess.
Masonary contracters are harder on equipment than tree service workers.That may sound hard to believe but true.

I see some guys at the service station in the mornings that stucco houses. Poor little 1-tons loaded to the max with sacks of cement, scaffolding,and pulling a mixer.

our logging crummys would get several hundred feet of 1 1/8 inch cable guy lines dropped in the back. i do beleive masonry guys are harder on trucks than tree guys. my chip box im going to build will hold about 3500 lbs of chips

What will a 1 ton hold? My bed is 6' H, 8'L, 7' W. If it was a total cube full of chips it would hold 12.5. But we know thats not possible. I figured because of the way the chips stack in the back, you would lose what, 2-3 yards? Let's say it holds 10yards then.

Thats about 5500 lbs. Is that too much?

My box will hold about 9 yards of chips. I have put an extra quarter wrap spring on each side, and I have replaced the front coil springs. So, yea, it will haul it fine.

However, it really depends on your use of the vehicle, how you drive it, and how long you leave the load in place.
Leaving a load in the truck for extended amounts of time will cause the 'deflection' of the springs to flatten out.

Avoid weigh stations

Good info.

The truck toats is fine. Tested out the new springs today, loaded it felt ALOT less tippy and rolly.

Frans, yours a diesel?

86 f350 6.9liter diesel

Kind of ashamed to admit this, what with all these guys with their huge new powerfull rigs.
But hey, it works for me, I totally own it, and I could drive it off a cliff today and....I dont know what I would do. Surfing? But I sure wouldn't owe anything

Sounds good to me. I just ask for comparisons sake. I want my current truck to last me a good long time, as well as all my other stuff.

My stuff will be paid for next year. From then on I hope to bank everything else. If I am overloading my truck and taking years off it, then It's something I will change, tis is why I ask.

of course your taking years off it by working it hard but thats what its for

A truck could last you forever if you want it to. Preventitive maintenance is key.

Well, mine is 21 years old and still going strong. But after all I have replaced, it is not really the same truck.
Kind of like getting a complete organ transplant, hips and knees replacement, botox & facelift
:D

Back