Chip Box Build

Thanks guys! Haha that is Tim's beard, he has certainly gone feral. My brother deserves all the credit, it was his design and build. He put in a lot of hard work to get it done and he really is a huge asset. Everything was from scratch, even the hinges on the door. Putting the correct bend radius in the sheet metal on the roof was the only thing we couldn't do in house, that really needed a special machine to do it right.

Willlard, I had never even thought of that! Might have to get some aluminum ramps now... :)

Adrian, it is funny you ask that because I was talking to Tim about it yesterday. We were around 95% full and I could really notice the weight shift when turning. It is definitely more top heavy. With the 20 yard box the Freightliner would chew up and spit out whatever we could throw at it. With the new box, the truck is getting it's proper work out and we may be pushing it a bit. The truck is good for 30k GVWR and we are close when loaded, if not over. I really need to get the truck to the scale and find out. I am expecting maintenance to go up a bit, as far as brakes, steering components, and have to keep an eye on the leaf springs. Time will tell.

Thanks guys! Haha that is Tim's beard, he has certainly gone feral. My brother deserves all the credit, it was his design and build. He put in a lot of hard work to get it done and he really is a huge asset. Everything was from scratch, even the hinges on the door. Putting the correct bend radius in the sheet metal on the roof was the only thing we couldn't do in house, that really needed a special machine to do it right.

Willlard, I had never even thought of that! Might have to get some aluminum ramps now... :)

Adrian, it is funny you ask that because I was talking to Tim about it yesterday. We were around 95% full and I could really notice the weight shift when turning. It is definitely more top heavy. With the 20 yard box the Freightliner would chew up and spit out whatever we could throw at it. With the new box, the truck is getting it's proper work out and we may be pushing it a bit. The truck is good for 30k GVWR and we are close when loaded, if not over. I really need to get the truck to the scale and find out. I am expecting maintenance to go up a bit, as far as brakes, steering components, and have to keep an eye on the leaf springs. Time will tell.
Don't forget tires.

Back