Charly P.

• Thread starter RIVERRAT
  • Start date
  • Replies 46
  • Views 8K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
first time ive seen that work on a tree that big:thumbup:
What issue have you had trying this? Please tell.
Hopefully we can do some cyphering & figure it out while learning something from it.

Willie, I must say you are making my head swell with a compliment like that. Knowing the type of work you do.

Even pulling the brush aside at the bottom so it doesn't get squished. Cool stuff.

ive never felt the need for it. the only reason you did it is cause you wanted the log, right? otherwise you would have jus chunked it? seen a couple guys try lowering a log that way with only 1 line. when it gets to the point of the hinge breaking like on yours, the log pivots hard. seen some close calls with other landscape trees like that. id like to see how many lines you used and how you rigged it. 2 in the back and 1 or 2 in the front?
my work isnt that big, devas the man there

I've wanted to try that. I have some other dodgier ideas I'd like to try someday to for slow falling a log.

We had 2 side lines on it, one pull line down hill tied to a winch. The I was running the porty letting it down. We also had a gas meter down hill. Again we wanted to leave the undergrowth as it was with out damage.

Charly's face cut was a bit skinny. The face closed holding the snag. Forcing Charly to cut the hinge wood more than desired.

When doing this it is best to leave a thick hinge. When possible thick enough that a good bit energy is needed to pull the snag through the whole range of its motion.

An open or reverse [SLANT CUT ON BOTTOM} face cut helps to keep the hinge intact. If I cant keep the let down line, lined up with center, having no means of placing side lines I would not attempt this.

Hey Jeff, I'm reading through some old posts and came upon this one. How's Charly P. doing these days? He's a good guy, and fun to talk with.

What were your surgeries for Jeff, if you don't mind me asking? Everything good now?

Charly had a heart attack. But form what I hear is doing fine. I did try to call him a few weeks back but didn't get an answer. Gerry B. mentioned Rebbecca Charly's daughter is or was running things.

I do miss Charly. We had our run ins & Charly is not by any stretch easy to get along with or work for. But for the most part, it most of the time worked out. My drinking during this period didn't help things........ I had a pretty good handle on Charly regarding his personality well before I ever worked for him. Charly is & always will be Charly P. A "Bucket Full of Personality" in the largest & most true sense!
Right after Xmas I will be on base at Fort Riley. I hope to catch up with Charly during this time.

Regarding my surgery. I was in a pretty horrific accident I had an aorta that was torn internally & my right leg was a mess from the hip to my foot. All my ribs were either broke or fractured. Doc said had I not been in the great physical condition I was at the time I would not have recovered as well & in fact probably would not have made it.
Over all I cant complain! I now ride a bike a lot to keep in good cardio shape. So I can still run when needed. But it's a safe bet my running days are for the most part over!!!!

Butch, it's nothing against you or any here. No reason for me to have any ill felings toward any here. With that said I would rather not go through this situation again right now. Maybe later........What happened, happened. It does not make me a bad ass & I have no desire to be seen that way by any.

Good doctors & my good physical condition may very well played a part. But mostly I believe I am alive & in excellent health today because for what ever reason God smiled on me!

I liked the vid, nice job getting a spar that big rigged down in the clear :)

We were trying to leave the area as it was before we came for the customer. I would like to say some thing here that relates very well the type of fella Charly Potorff is.

That pine snag in the vid could have been pieced out by by using a block much quicker than the time it took to set the rigging & go about the way we did in that vid........

But one of the things that I found & still find very endearing about Charly was even though hes well into 60 yrs. of age, been actively doing tree work for some 40 plus years I believe, traveled the US visiting other tree people,tree companies & at times just to watch some fellas rig out some crazy, bizarre tree set in a unique situation.......IN SPITE OF ALL THAT! Charly Pottorff still has a child like curiosity & energy when it comes to doing tree work!!!

More than anything what that vid reveals is a man, full well knowing there is a better more efficient way. But because of Charly's child like curiosity when doing the trees. He chose to do some thing different............For no other reason than to watch like a child & just see if it would work.

Charly had a line holding the stub to lower it down. He likes to do that sort of thing, whether practical or not he just wanted to illustrate the method. that's the way he is. Good on him.

Yes he does.... Knowing Charley, not only was it to demonstrate the technique,but he is all about low impact.

lol....until I got there...Fall that damn tree ! to hell with that little bush... Just getter down ! .... ;)

Don't worry Butch, the word will get out there and more people will discover TH.

How is Charly doing these days? Is he feeling better?

Back