Cdl question

arborworks1

Treehouser
I was reading some where that when pulling chippers or stump grinders that they don't count towards your gvw, because they are not designed to haul anything on.

So if your driving a 25000 gvw chip truck and pulling a 4000 pound chipper you would not be consider cdl class? Is this true?

If the vehicle GVWR exceeds 26K, or if your vehicle and trailer combined exceed 26K, then you need a class B CDL. This is what you need.

If your trailer exceeds 10K GVWR and your combined truck/ trailer exceeds 26K then you need a class A CDL. This is what semi truck drivers need. It now also applies to guys driving one tons and pulling those 14K GVW dump trailers.

Then that's something you'll have to find out locally. In Florida, the law applies to all licensed trailers, but then all trailers require a tag in order to be used on the road.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I shall do so. Wish they would make everything uniform.

All these different laws are so hard to keep up with.

What is the deal with all the guys running around with not for hire on the car haulers now? I passed 6 different duallies with three car trailers this morning plastered on the side of the truck and trailer.

That more than likely has something to do with insurance requirements or restrictions. You'd be amazed at some of the stupid stuff people have to agree to in order to get coverage.

For my liability insurance (with my last company) I was 'required' to have signage and yellow caution tape around EVERY work area when I was up in the bucket (yeah, riiiiight). I did buy a sign but I never bought the sign holder. I also found a partial roll of caution ribbon once and kept it in the truck for a while.

As far as I know, the 26k limit on vehicles/combinations and the 10,001lb trailers have been standardized as requirinng a CDL.

None of that nonsense up here for my new trailer or bucket truck/chipper. A NSC(national safety code) number is all I've needed so far and all that did was cost money no testing of any sort.

In Ohio certain towable pieces of equipment such as welders,compressors,morter mixers,stump grinders or chippers do not need tags .The insurance for same is covered by the tow vehicle while in transit.

Same here Al.

The way I understand it is, as long as the towed unit isnt made for transporting (more than itself), it doesnt need a tag.

Dave(tnttree) had to closely examine this when he started transporting mini loaders on chippers. I dont know what the outcome was? If he had to plate the chippers or not. My guess would be yes, but maybe not.

here we need a "heavy fixed load" plate on chippers, and it does count toward your gcw. its the same here as skwerl said. some states like calif. want plates on anything on the road, here i think anything designed for less than 1800 pounds doesnt need a plate

Everything here except "implements of husbandry" needs a plate. Unless you are involved in commercial farming you can't use the husbandry deal. They do have an "SE" plate for chippers which is only $20 for 2 years. I kind of doubt if the local cops are up on this as it isn't dealt with on a regular basis and it isn't a problem as far as I know. They are too busy with tweakers stealing stuff, fighting with each other, and the gang guys doing the same.

Oh some states have some really stupid laws .For example in Pa at one time maybe still you have to have a tag on a farm tractor if you use it on the road . How dumb is that ?:what:

Dumb like a fox...it's all about collecting taxes wherever the politicos can find a way to do so...
The politics of agriculture has been a toy the politcos have used for years .

For example 3000 dollar an acre farm land is only taxed a $6.50 per acre,more or less .It generates revenue .I have 2 acres in the front that only grows grass than sets me back 90 bucks an acre and all it generates is work for me .

Seemed kind of funny to me,when it was nothing but weeds I didn't pay as much.Make it look good,you get to pay more and share the fruits of your labor with every Tom, Dick and Hairy who had nothing to do with it .Mary,Nancy and Judy are included as well .:what:

None of that nonsense up here for my new trailer or bucket truck/chipper. A NSC(national safety code) number is all I've needed so far and all that did was cost money no testing of any sort.

Yes but,,, you're in Canada. Who would want to live there?...

The politics of agriculture has been a toy the politcos have used for years .

For example 3000 dollar an acre farm land is only taxed a $6.50 per acre,more or less .It generates revenue .I have 2 acres in the front that only grows grass than sets me back 90 bucks an acre and all it generates is work for me .

Seemed kind of funny to me,when it was nothing but weeds I didn't pay as much.Make it look good,you get to pay more and share the fruits of your labor with every Tom, Dick and Hairy who had nothing to do with it .Mary,Nancy and Judy are included as well .:what:

They tell me Al it is because ag land uses very little in the way of local govt services like fire, police, ambulance, road repair, schools and the like.

They tell me Al it is because ag land uses very little in the way of local govt services like fire, police, ambulance, road repair, schools and the like.
You are probabely correct on that but a side note .

During the late 70's early 80's the price of farm land escallated rapidly . A lot of the farmers with no foresite had thousands of acres of prime hardwoods taken out and turned into to farm land that would take over a decade just to recoop the price they paid for the D8 Cats to doze it out .

Finally the powers to be in the statehouse got off their duffs and made special dispensation for woodslands before it was all gone .

The dumbest thing I ever saw was 80 acres of 100 foot oaks fall to the big crawlers ,that's just not right .:(

True North strong and free bro.

Yes, and pasty white. :P:P:P:P:P:P:P

shirtoff.jpg

Please us Canadians are all overmuscled gorilla looking bastards from living in our harsh environment up here. My daughter could kick that guys ass.:D

Oh yah but we are all pasty white.

Attachments

• IMG_6557.JPG
    IMG_6557.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 28
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Alright alright, just don't let her kick my butt too..

If the vehicle GVWR exceeds 26K, or if your vehicle and trailer combined exceed 26K, then you need a class B CDL. (I don't think so - TS)This is what you need.

If your trailer exceeds 10K GVWR and your combined truck/ trailer exceeds 26K then you need a class A CDL. This is what semi truck drivers need. It now also applies to guys driving one tons and pulling those 14K GVW dump trailers.[/COLOR]

PA's website= "any SINGLE vehicle over 26k = class B"

the key is the trailer weight... under 10k it doesn't change anything, over 10k makes it go from B to A

In other words, 25999# truck with 9999#trailer is OK, but the requirements still differentiate between Commercial and Noncommercial licenses.

TS

Back