Caucasian Mountain Dogs

I remember a story of a white supremacist couple who had two in a small NY apartment. Somehow they got out past the owners and attacked an elderly woman in the shared hallway. They mauled her to death. They were sentenced to prison terms if I'm correct.

I just watched Russia's Toughest Prisons on Netflix and this is the breed of dogs they use "a breed known to be particularly vicious" and big, 200 some lbs, yikes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, those dogs belong in their natural environment, which is guarding herds of sheep in the Caucus Mountain area.

Bunch of hype.
They are sheepdogs, no different from the Kangal, the Pyreneean and all the other versions of large dogs bred to watch over flocks of sheep and chase predators away.
In Schweiz alone, there are over 800 such dogs taking care of sheep, and I've yet to hear of a single human fatality.

The media loves to go ape over stuff like that once in a while. About 15 years ago it was wolf hybrids here.

They also get hyped quite a bit by the manly men of those areas they come from.
The Kangal is considered the national dog of both turks and kurds, and they constantly one-up each other by posting videos of kangals "Fighting" each other and other dogs trying to show how vicious they are.
Videos, where anyone who knows the body language of dogs can tell, they are merely playfighting.

Personally I find it hilarious that stuff like that can get blown up in the homeland of the pitbull.

I also love the so called trainer of guard dogs that can't hold a Caucasian because it is stronger than him.
Jeeeez, there is no way I could hold my Sam on a leash, if he didn't want to be held.
So I use an invisible leach and that holds him fine.
But of course showing a well trained Caucasian walking quietly at heel doesn't sell papers.

Hilarious or not, I could care less if it is a Caucasian Mtn. dog, toy poodle or corgie, if an owner wants a dog to be mean, it will be mean, and I will kill it.

I cant believe the benefit outweighs the risk of keeping guard dogs on ones property.

The problem is that those "men" who need a big tough dog to support their ego are the ones who aren't alpha enough to control those dogs.

When I was a kid, I had a long legged mutt Chihuahua that chased a big assed Sheppard mix outta the hood.

It ain't the size of the dog in the fight...

I'm thankful for my ever loving lab..... I have no worries when I run with her off leash that see won't bite anyone. She loves kids and tolerates tons of abuse from my 7 year old. With that said, she has a sixth sense.....anyone creepy she seems to hone in on and let's them know she don't like them.....same around house. She would alert us and give us plenty of time to react........I wouldn't want to walk a loose cannon on a leash...

Most folks I see here with bad ass dogs are pretty low on the food chain

Back