Carabiners - New Pirate UpLock

lxskllr

Treehouser
Per the title. Just got the new wesspur catalog, and they now have the pirate in a push up configuration(CAR134-U). Thought some of you might be interested.

Since I wasn't sure this deserved it's own thread, I'll add a question. Who makes a good inexpensive rated, but non locking biner from a decent country? I want to get some more accessory biners, and don't want to buy from China.

If you want full size ones, just get a normal rated one, they are pretty cheap and will last forever. I've been guilty of buying hardware store ones for an accessory one before

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Made in Taiwan, but that looks like a nice set. Maybe I'm being too particular about country of origin :^/

edit:
Same site, I found these from DMM...

Welsh, and they look a bit bigger than the Minis

Last edited:
Been using the Black Diamond Positron for years from this place Brian turned me onto for accessory crabs. Few other places have them. Good opening on them. Pretty reasonable. Prices can be found down around 7.00.

STEPHEN!!!! You beat me to it....I agree. I have at least 30 of these I bet....time it right and they are about $6-$7 each as I remember it. I like the full thickness gate, not the wire gates...and the "full" size...not mini:

biner.jpg

Back to the OP's point...why the eff would anyone want such a biner, I ask. The finest feature of the otherwise very nice Pirate was it's easy use opening with the downward pull to open.

I know some found it difficult just because it wasn't what they were used to...those folks I sympathize with, but do not understand. My great friend Stig bought some of the original Pirate on my recommendation, and hated them. I think he's a genius, as fine a faller as we will ever see, and without doubt a climber and rigger of the highest skill. But his undoubtedly talented mind was unable to deal with the opposite function of the Pirate. That I just do not get.

It's a tool...it works easier than the first version of said tool (almost all carabiners designed and manufactured since the 1950's)...learn to use it, ya dumb bunnies :D. It's a better tool.

I have been partial to the Climb Right Paddle biners for my accessory needs All the way at the bottom on the Wesspur Accessory Biner page or TreeStuff as well; large, no-snag nose and reasonably priced.

Black diamond is all made in taiwan. Rock exotica and omega pacific are the only biners made in the states I'm pretty sure. For a while RE was making a lot of petzl biners, but not anymore. I dont see why it would make any difference if it's made in taiwan or Wales or france or italy. Excellent quality can be expected from all of those places. I get wanting something from the us if your american but not a lot of options there.

I have been partial to the Climb Right Paddle biners for my accessory needs All the way at the bottom on the Wesspur Accessory Biner page or TreeStuff as well; large, no-snag nose and reasonably priced.
I love those biners, have a bunch, need more!

I'm anti China regardless. I don't trust them, and they make too much of our stuff. Taiwan is ok I guess. Not really sure what they're up to. They used to have a good reputation for welding, but you don't really hear too much about them anymore. I trust European standards and governing bodies, and of course the US. So my preference is US or Euro, but Taiwan isn't off the table.

Climb Right Paddle biner -- Y'all convinced me...just ordered 3 from Tree Stuff...along with some Notch safety glasses. (watched Nick Bonner do some good reviews of their glasses...trying the Notch clear anti-fog...$6.95 per pair)

Yea, I think I'm gonna split it between the paddle and the black diamond. Good reports from both, and I think the different sizes will be useful.

BTW, why is it called a paddle biner? I've been aware of them since my whitewater days, and assumed it was called that cause the gate was big enough to clip to a paddle, and that's what everyone used them for. Thinking about it now, that seems oddly specific and esoteric. That can't be the origin of the name, can it?

They used to have a good reputation for welding, but you don't really hear too much about them anymore.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no. They never could, or likely ever will, weld shit worth a damn. More than once I've actually fired up and rewelded brand new stuff from there. They do very good with electronics tho. Most welding, even factory production stuff, is still done by hand, and they don't have the quality control or skill training to compete. On the factory side, here in the us they've pushed robots hard, and there is/ was a huge learning curve there that dropped quality, but even so it was still better than China. Their steel production is actually so bad they have changed some specs here to exclude it.

Pretty much all of them. I haven't seen a bike in a while that wasn't made in taiwan. Cheap ones made in china, high end stuff is almost entirely taiwan. The components as well and the precision on that stuff far exceeds tree climbing gear.

Campangnolo is still in italy for some super high end components. The only European components manufacturer that I know of. taiwan also makes super high end shit

Nothing other than some boutique brand bikes are made in the usa and they still all get most of their components from taiwan. Or if they are budget than from china.

Last edited:
Black diamond is all made in taiwan. Rock exotica and omega pacific are the only biners made in the states I'm pretty sure. For a while RE was making a lot of petzl biners, but not anymore. I dont see why it would make any difference if it's made in taiwan or Wales or france or italy. Excellent quality can be expected from all of those places. I get wanting something from the us if your american but not a lot of options there.
Omega Pacific has closed, Rock’s must be the only US made now.

ill be damned. thats sad.

So you have Rock Exotica, Wales, Italy, France, Taiwan and China to choose from. I believe Petzl, Kong, and CT use Taiwan for some of their biners as well.

Back