Buying a cow??

My Dad used to butcher a cow. He would hang it and split it down the backbone with a chainsaw. No bar oil. Then he took it to a butcher to hang and age, then cut and wrap. It is hard to find a good butcher. Lots of so so ones or bad ones.

We had cows when I was young. Sold them off when I was 15 or 16. I recall us taking one to the processing plant every couple of years...and bringing in loads and loads of meat a few days later. You may save some money, but if you value your time at all, you will come up short. I don't even like to buy whole loins when they're on sale, because you're paying that "sale" price on the whole thing....even those three of four end ribeyes that don't look like much. I generally wait for a sale, and buy packs of steaks so I can hand pick good steaks. Lastly (in my opinion) would be whether or not you trust the seller of the cow. It would be bad to buy it and find it had less than ideal fat content, etc.

We also have considered buying a half share. But what happens when the power goes out to the freezer? Or we eat what we want then what remains is lumps of meat that is not exactly what we want at the time?
Those paper wrapped items sit there for a year or so uneaten....

Far easier to buy what we want from the local butcher..,

We also have considered buying a half share. But what happens when the power goes out to the freezer? Or we eat what we want then what remains is lumps of meat that is not exactly what we want at the time?
Those paper wrapped items sit there for a year or so uneaten....

Far easier to buy what we want from the local butcher..,
Until you are under quarantine for a little virus and everyone cleaned out the super market right before hand :lol:

I half jokingly told the boss that we're gonna raise goats and chickens, and she replied "no, because I'm going to have to end up doing them while you find work, and your kids are enough" :lol: 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you! She is waffling on the whole cow idea tho I may have her sold on the purchase of sub primal cuts.

Start with a quarter or half. I raise stocker beef, I don't slaughter or cut and wrap my beef. Deer and elk are enough work! Not every grower has good beef either.... genetics play a big part and how they're finished does too. I don't really care for grass finished, I keep mine on grass the whole time, good grass, the last 60 or so days I grain them. Generally come out high choice. Also, i buy beef calves, not dairy breeds. Not that I haven't eaten good Holstein meat, but beef breeds marble better and fill in better.

Attachments

• 20180906_105306.jpg
    20180906_105306.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 20200327_094023.jpg
    20200327_094023.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 20200327_093959.jpg
    20200327_093959.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 18
  • 20191031_151112.jpg
    20191031_151112.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 20191031_155315.jpg
    20191031_155315.jpg
    1,011.4 KB · Views: 15
With the current situation having slowed the economy, one might actually put a cow on a bus. Might have to buy an extry ticket or three...

Back