Anyone vacuum pack their food?

Benjo75

Treehouser
I finally bought a vacuum packer. Was going to store some beans and rice and mainly for deer meat and hamburger and other meats. I ordered a few rolls of bags and some O2 absorbers. I vacuumed some rice last night and had a couple that leaked off overnight. I went back and cut the top off and double sealed them. So far they're holding. Anyone have much experience with one of these?

I can see it working good for first aid supplies. I don't hardly ever use a first aid kit but when I do, if it's been sitting a while, things look a little old and musty.

We use one regularly. The main thing is make usre the seal area is dry and when pulling a vaccuum with wet or moist items you hit the seal button before the juice gets to the seal area. A tip for filling is to roll back the bag so that area stays clean and dry. They are handy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah after a few months in the bucket truck bin everything starts looking pretty bad. It would be easy to seal up band aids and gauze then reseal if you needed to break in to it. You can use the bags until they're too short to seal. I have lost a few saw chains and files through the years due to moisture. Might box up some spares and seal them up. I'm bad about stocking up on supplies and before I had a good shop I had to leave most everything in the bucket truck bins.

We use one quite a lot. One way to minimize the liquid draw on vacuuming is to put your product in the bag and throw it in the freezer overnight before you vac/seal. We do that for anything that's wettish. Or lay it out on a cookie sheet in the freezer overnight, then bag it.

Do the same if you want to vac/seal fresh foods that are tender and moist, like berries. Raspberries are a total loss if vac/sealed fresh, but give them 8 hours in the freezer beforehand, and they vac/seal beautifully.

This is like TOTALLY new to me.
Burnham, care to add some more info.
I have never heard of this ( probably my fault for living in a commie country)
We freeze tons of stuff, as in right now we have 60 pds of spaghetti sauce in the freezer, so anything that would make that work better would be a fine thing.

Vacuumed a few things last night. Spaghetti, coffee, milk, corn meal, flour, beans.

Attachments

• 20201026_204735.jpg
    20201026_204735.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
Yeah I've been double sealing everything. There's plenty of time as I write on the next bag in line. Only took one bag to realize I cant write on vacuum packed beans. Have to write on the empty bag first.

Stig, you can start here to read up on the technology a bit.

This site has some good information and a vid, but suffers from many ads as you go...still, I found it useful.

One thing I'll note...we almost always can reuse the bags, just with somewhat smaller volume than original. Cuts the cost per by a lot. Just trim them open very close to the seal line, to maximize the remaining bag size.

We have a Food Saver brand, and have had very few problems getting excellent results from it.

Last edited:
Ads on the internet? I didn't think they made them anymore. It's been 20 years since I've seen an internet ad ;^)

Back