Burnham's super lopper ?????

Ax-Man

Don't make me chop you
Hey Burnham,

I didn't want to derail the lanyard thread with this question for Burnham.

I happen to catch a glimspe of what looks like a one of those super loppers on your tool shelf with the slipped joint to give you extra M A when cutting bigger stems. I think they are called forestry loppers and can also be used for pollarding cattle horns.

If they are the same thing I have a pair just like them.

How do you like them???? I like them for what they are but it is not my favorite tool.

Those loppers seem to be a clumsy, klunky kind of tool. I have almost degraded mine to cutting roots but not sure how good the steel in the blade would hold up cutting down in the dirt.

I have never seen anyone post a thread on this particular style of loppers.

I think I think I got mine at Forestry Suppliers.

If I did this right, I swiped your pic and drew a line to what I am talking about. Had the same trouble as the last time I swiped a pic and drew on it, bitmap file and had to change it to jpg.

I used to have a pair, but gave 'em away to a friend because they didn't make a clean cut. If I wanted to mash the branch in half, I'd use a dull chainsaw.

Not my fav tool either. Quite heavy, and while I have never done it myself, other users have managed to twist the blades as they close them, passing the tips inside each other...ferks up the blades by trying to cut itself. I don't know, Sean...before they were messed up some like I just described they cut cleanly enough.

The thing they do well is cutting bouncy, whippy stems like vine maple when clearing trail. That stuff jumps all over hell and gone under a handsaw or even a chainsaw, hard to handle it cleanly, and the lopper does that pretty well. A good tool for a trail worker inexperienced with saws.

You can fold the handles back over the head, so it packs a bit more compactly than it looks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I use it mainly to clear brush when working around fences or old fence lines with remnants of barb wire growing in the stems of trees. I am extremely leery of kickback from a chainsaw when working close to any kind of wire fence.

My self control has kept me from weekly postings in this thread.

Not much of gear, but without them I would be grounded.

Replaced the rear tires on the 1 ton yesterday with Toyo Open Country A/T's. Nice tires.

My friends father dropped them off yesterday and wouldn't let me pay him for them. He said payback is a bitch considering all the help I did for him for nothing. I just won't bill him for the 3 hours of tree dropping and brush chipping for one of his septic installs.8)

Back