Burnham, what is this?

sotc

Dormant hero!!
One of my buddies found this in a recent burn. The assumption is that it came from the forest service but I've never seen an ascender quite like it. Thought you or another F.S. guy would know

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415410402422.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415410402422.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That would explain how beefy and bulky it is

Nice, thank ya sir! I'm going to get it from him today.

Willie, I've seen those before...seen them used by radio techs for fall protection in comm tower climbing. Never had occasion to use one myself.

No clue as to why one would be on a burn site, per se.

Thought some of you might appreciate a few logging/family pics. Went down to my best friend's place on the Klamath River in Northern California (many hours north of Sacramento, some call that northern Cali). They own nearly a section of land there and quite a bit of it was involved in the Beaver Creek fire (35,000 acre fire) this year, very close to the Happy Camp fires that made national news. Any how, they are moving logs off the hill before trucks can't get them out. Decking near the river to haul to the mill when more trucks are available. Currently running 4 sides so trucks are thin. So here's a glimpse of California logging for those interested :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415501741351.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415501741351.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 56
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415501836793.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415501836793.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 56
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415501890301.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415501890301.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 56
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415502021601.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415502021601.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 56
I am interested...those trees were salvaged from the fire?

Otherwise, would they have been harvested?

Why could the trucks "not get them out"?

Yes, fire killed and harvested under an emergency harvest plan. Yes, most would have been cut at some point but this area was logged 12 or 15 years ago m memory serves. Once winter sets in the cat roads will be too soft and too steep for trucks. They just cut roads in the dirt, no rocking as they will let most of them grow over.

Steeper than it looks

7989fbb21207d00912cd176bcf1555a8.jpg

Actually some interesting history, the left side of the last picture you can kind of tell the terrain isn't natural. This area was hydraulically mined back in the old days. Pretty impressive how much soil they moved back then

Willie, I've seen those before...seen them used by radio techs for fall protection in comm tower climbing. Never had occasion to use one myself.

No clue as to why one would be on a burn site, per se.

Wonder if they set any temporary repeater towers in the area during the fire for radio communication?

Typically a fire will have a repeater set up. A comms unit leader will select a site and a repeater will be set up, sometimes multiple repeaters. The only temporary ones I have see are easily set up by one or two people. Maybe ten to 15 feet tall.

I have never seen a temporary repeater set up that would require climbing and therefore need fall protection. But, they do thing differently on the west coast!

I guess we do, I just learned most states don't have snow chain requirements. We actually close the interstate several times a winter here, just assumed that happened everywhere

Back