Bucket Chainsaw Scabbard; Inside or out?

Bucket Chainsaw Scabbard

• Inside the bucket

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Outside the bucket

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
Yeah, my factory one fell apart about 6 months ago and I had to make a new one with plywood and wood on the plastic thing that goes up and down inside the bucket that the old one was mounted on.

Hmm ya if you had a pic, or anyone else too with a homemade jobby. It'd be muchly apreciated. I'm sure I remember reading about it too awhile back on here but can't remember who it was describing theirs?

I think with a couple strips of flat metal (such as the tension pieces from a chain link fence) and some plywood and maybe a couple short pieces of 1X2 wood you could make one. Bend the metal so you have two hooks to fit over the bucket lip. Cut a plywood back plate, then spacers on the sides and a front plate. Through bolt the plywood and spacers to your two metal straps and you're done.

Here you go Squisher. The piece of plastic it is bolted to was existing in my liner. I bought plastic bolts at the local hardware store to attach the wood to the plastic. The only metal is the screws going from the plywood into the square wooden pieces. I believe they were 1" square and the plywood is 1/2" and the scabbard is 5" wide. It is barely wide enough for the 046 bar but the 200T fits easy.

Attachments

• scabbard 004 (Medium).jpg
    scabbard 004 (Medium).jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 9
  • scabbard 007 (Medium).jpg
    scabbard 007 (Medium).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 8
  • scabbard 008 (Medium).jpg
    scabbard 008 (Medium).jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 38
  • scabbard 009 (Medium).jpg
    scabbard 009 (Medium).jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 9
No bucket cover? I hate when water gets in mine! Course theres about 6" of chips in the bottom that end up stinking when they get wet.

Do your boots get nicked up badly?
Make the homemade bucket scabbard man! A length of 6" PVC pipe, a little cutting, a little baking in the oven, and a little molding. I heard about it here, and if I ever get a bucket of my own, I'll try it. Maybe a bit of trial and error to get it right, but it's waay cheaper than a real scabbard, and I'll bet it's pretty durable.
I'd worry about the saw handle getting snagged by a stick and pulled out of the scabbard, getting smashed against the tree, or being dropped if stowed outside the bucket.

Nope is was me, 4 inch PVC works great. I get scrape pieces from plumbers or the local hardware store. Cut them 26 inch's long thats the longest length that will fit in our oven. Heat in oven at 225 or 250 until it gets soft and form it to your bucket lip.
I need to build a couple more for the spider, so I will get pictures when I build them. But basically cut a 3 or 4 inch pvc pipe 26 inch's long. Lay it flat on a table, mark one end the top, now mark down each side about 10 or 12 inch's, the mark should be half the diameter, then at the 10 or 12 inch mark connect the line's. Then cut down the lines with a saws-all. Heat up and use a 1x4 for the lower part to form the saw scabbard part. The top flat part you form to your bucket lip either inside or out whatever your preference is. Hope this makes since, like I said I will get pictures of building one in the next few days. They are very easy to make after the first one or two the rest will be easy. Here is a picture of one on the spider.

Attachments

• Chain saw scabbard.jpg
    Chain saw scabbard.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 9
Good picture, Steve. I have a 'store bought' one that is about due for a rebuild. I just put a tape measure on it and the overall size is about 8.5" wide and 32" tall. The pocket portion is about 18" tall and the inside of the pocket is about 5.5" wide and 1.5" deep.

So if you cut your back plate and then attached a couple 18" 2x2's down either side and a front piece of plywood over that to form the pocket, you'd be in business. I'll take pictures of mine when I get some time to rebuild it, hopefully next weekend.
:thumbup:

No bucket cover. I used to have one and I lost it somewhere during the summer. It doesn't rain much here. I scooped the water out with a plastic bucket after the first picture. Took a couple of minutes and I got most of the sawdust out also.

The cheap vinyl covers with elastic band around the outside work just fine if you cut a piece of plywood to lay over the top of the bucket before putting the cover on. I bought the vinyl cover with the padded insert that was supposed to keep the cover from sagging but it didn't work and was holding water after 6 months. I cut a piece of plywood to fit and then rounded off the corners so it wouldn't snag. It's worked like a charm for the last 2 years.

The cheap vinyl covers with elastic band around the outside work just fine if you cut a piece of plywood to lay over the top of the bucket before putting the cover on. I bought the vinyl cover with the padded insert that was supposed to keep the cover from sagging but it didn't work and was holding water after 6 months. I cut a piece of plywood to fit and then rounded off the corners so it wouldn't snag. It's worked like a charm for the last 2 years.

I think I will do that. Can you drive with it on?

Yes. Mine has the rope with the snap on the end and I clip it on to the attachment ring on the side of the bucket. But the cover has never blown off while driving.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It happens, so always clip it. I don't like driving with it covered cuz it takes a beating and will eventually start leaking.

good idea on the plywood, probably keep it on the truck all winter and leave at the shop in the summer!

Back