Bolting a Tree

yup, Doc Shigo talked a bit about the staining pattern and some of his other experiences with bolts etc. I dont remember the species of tree from the pic.

mebbe. Could be a flowering plum, the wood from those discolours after being cut open..

Looks like cherry, with some serious heart rot. Probably pre-existing before the bolt was installed.

You don't paint it with anything, Al. And no, I'm not going to explain for the eight hundred and fourty seventh time why. you have a computer, search on CODIT and whatever else for your answer.

With all due respect, that's not the course of action here....and there is more than just a little history of arbor culture care on the island. Wounds, large pruning cuts, cracks, etc, get covered with a relatively thin gooey substance, similar in viscosity to white glue. Not sure what all is in it, but it contains an anti-bacterial agent. Any gardner will have a tub of the treatment in his truck.

The photo reminds that Jerry's book gives some good reading and photos regarding gaff wounds in trees....changes over time.

With all due respect, that's not the course of action here....and there is more than just a little history of arbor culture care on the island. Wounds, large pruning cuts, cracks, etc, get covered with a relatively thin gooey substance, similar in viscosity to white glue. Not sure what all is in it, but it contains an anti-bacterial agent. Any gardner will have a tub of the treatment in his truck.

The photo reminds that Jerry's book gives some good reading and photos regarding gaff wounds in trees....changes over time.

Lac Balsam. Wish it came in some other colors besides evil puke green.

Dave

Yup, gardeners have been using it for ages but it never really caught on with arborists. I am SO glad we don't use paint pots any more. Back in the day, ALL my blue jeans had a thick coating of tar down the right leg. :whine:

Kind of a sidetrack of this thread, but I was still curious about the time of year pruning question for fruit trees, and the to coat or not to coat wounds, question.... so I made some enquiries.

The lady at the twenty acre apple orchard down the road from my place, says that they start pruning in March, after the coldest weather has passed, and try to finish up before the sap starts moving. She didn't have anything much to say about snow on trees being a liability. She says that they paint the larger cuts with the anti-bacteria goop.

The main man gardner here, recently returned from creating a garden in Finland, but eighty percent of his work is ornamental pruning...tells me that he paints all cuts over an inch in diameter. He said that pruning in wet weather is a concern during the warmer months when disease is more likely to move about. Our rainy months here are the warmest months as well. He didn't think snow to be much of a concern when pruning. He says that he's pretty much resigned to disease in trees, just can't keep up with it. The species susceptibility to disease, along with the current health condition, most determines his level of concern when pruning and after care.

So say the local experts in these parts.

Back