Bmg Clamshell Idea

I like the idea a lot. However, the least amount of weight on the attachment as possible would keep the loader's lift capacity. Otherwise, the clam shell may decrease the lift capacity.

I'm going to start on the design soon. Waiting on the drawings of the BMG from Dave.

Jamin, what the heck are you planning on picking up with the clam shell? My thoughts were using it for picking up loose debris, bulky not heavy.

Damm Carl, that CAD program is to Kool !!

Well many many year ago I built the Clamvan (this is only surviving photo, just b4 it got scrapped) this contraption would pull the front wheels way off the ground:\:. Set of log tongs did the grabbing (would of loved a BMG on it :/:) gotta couple of years out of her -bed loaded down with butt pieces and a baldtire deathtrap cartrailer (no brakes) full of logs behind it :|:

Boy I hate DOT, but I am damm lucky to be alive with the loads this rig hauled
never got ticketed in the late 80's :D

Also I snapped the boom at the pivot twice B4 I made the ~2' insert into the lower pipe

Attachments

• ClamVan.JPG
    ClamVan.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The van looks pretty high tech for some backyard engineering. If it saved my back I would rock it.

What'd you use for a pivot? Pipe inside a pipe? Manual slewing also?

Jim, pillow bearings don't do well with the high axial loads. If I go that route, I'd use pins and bushings.

Cranes use PFTE/nylon slide pucks to move the boom in and out, under load at times, however the leverage against it isn't ideal.

Today I tried to get a price on a slew bearing, the extension they said to talk to never picked up.

I am considering a pair of tapered roller bearings to handle the radial loads and deminish the axial loads the PFTE would see.

Why not design it where you can switch to a slew, if the other doesn't hold up.

You mean slew bearing or pivot like a backhoe? Going from PFTE to a bearing isn't a big deal, only the bolt patterns would have to be drilled and the mating surfaces machined flat (most likely on the machining, they aren't tolerant of deflection of irregularities).

LJ, how much rotation are you shooting for? I would assume less than 360, haven't mentioned anything about a rotator for the hydraulics.

You can get a bit more than 360* w/o a hydro rotato.

Right now I'm just playing with the design, but at least 190, 220 being better (with a hinge design). In a perfect world (thrust bearing), about 420*, enough to spin all the way around and then a bit more.

Rotato, is that a cross between a rutabaga and a potato?:/: I think that name is worth a million bucks, just invent some stupid doohinckus and sell it on TV. "The original Rotato! Only $19.95!":lol:

The slew is the hardest part of your boom design. My Clamvan manual swing was actually quite easy once the weight was off the ground.

It could swing kinda wildly, visual ~ like the boom on a sailboat clocking a guy of the boat :|:

And if you hurry we'll throw another Rotato in for free!! just pay a separate exhorbitant shipping and handling fee :lol:

You guys are getting very close to a design I have been thinking about for awhile now.

A rear mounted mini knuckleboom loader with a clamshell grapple mounted on the back of a one ton dump. Some one had a picture of a custom made rear mounted grapple on a bigger truck that could dump out the rear. I thought that was kind of neat if it could be made to fit a smaller truck

It would be great for loading those blasted stump grindings or other debris. If the truck can get close to the ground up stump. It would be better than hand shoveling. You could do a stump and clean-up in one trip.

For me this would work because we use a tow behind grinder and a one ton to pull it. I know for some guys this is not the way to go.

We do this now with my log loader if we have the room. Especially if it is a big stump and it is going to pretty much fill up the box of the truck. After the stump is done we either jack knife the grinder off to one side or disconnect it. A few pics of what I am talking about. A smaller truck with a smaller boom and clamshell grapple would be handy for doing this task.

Attachments

• P4180235.JPG
    P4180235.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 5
  • P4180241.JPG
    P4180241.JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 4
Your right Brian. :lol: It never clicked on my end till I saw the pic of Justin and your old bucket together in the current which bucket truck to buy thread.

Got those chains you sold me mounted and ready to go. Still haven't cut with them yet. No clean wood in the wood pile right now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
An Isuzu or a F550 with a loader, One that could dump through the loader rear mounted would be trick.

Plus the truck would not disfigure lawns.

Back