Black Diamond Magnetron Carabiners

The local REI has the screw locking version of that first carabiner and I think it's be a good candidate for the small ring of a RING/ring friction saver.

Once I used a climbing system of a friends. An in his system there were 3 triple auto lock carabiners, and each one had a different way of unlocking it.

Having no formal introduction to his system it took me 10 to 15 seconds to figure each biner out just so I could get in or out of his system.

You can bet, if a layman was in that system during a difficult time they would be stuck.

Climbing systems should not be complicated.

All these new and different ways of unlocking a biner just throws a new twist into our routine that is bound to eventually be the cause of an accident.

Wow Jer! That's an old-timer's opinion if ever there was one. I'm torn!!!:lol:

Actually, I'm on your side: I just advocated--to some poop-stain kid--using a snap instead of a biner for terminating the end of the rope on the D-rings. Why push or twist or do anything at all when you can just grab?

If only it could only be as simple as that. But currently there's no standard for how a biner unlocks. Only its strength. In the meantime it makes our arsenal of life support connectors as confusing as a puzzle.

Does anyone here remember the Mickey Mouse Carabiner? Now that was one tough connector to unhitch no matter how adapt you were to using it.

ha! i just ordered one of those today(mouse biner). never used one, but wanted a small biner. i hope i can get used to it.

ha! i just ordered one of those today(mouse biner). never used one, but wanted a small biner. i hope i can get used to it.

I bought 2 ISC mouse biners some weeks ago to try. Until now, I had only quarter turn biners, but the french laws ask for triple auto lock carabiners. I wanted small biner to put on the bridge (sequoia) and with a flat top to keep the hitch, pulley and the "splice" biner at the same place without conflict.
For this part, it works. But actually, it's a pita for me to use it. In fact it's too small. -You need both hands to open it nearly all the time.
-The bridge gets stuck under the gate and the biner doesn't slide no more when it comes near the rings (web's end and sews).
-There isn't enough room between the gate and the top, even my 8mm hitch cord is in the way to open the gate.
To remove the biner off the saddle, I have to take out the "splice biner", push back the hitch and pulley, push the bridge far from the opening, then open the biner and now the bridge can leave the biner.:X
Easy , isn't it?
It's the new 6 movements security biner !:D
It doesn't make me a fan of the triple auto lock carabiners. Maybe I have to try an other model.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I bought two Magnetrons with great expectations of replacing my William D's.

... However:

Black Diamond Magnetron Mini-Review:

The Magnetron latch works amazingly well - operable when wearing heavy gloves. But, the gate is way too long which seriously encroaches into the space for the knot.

The William button lock (shown) is difficult to operate when wearing winter gloves. However, there is a William D with a 'conventional' triple-lock that is easier to operate when wearing gloves. With both, there is ample space for the gate to clear the knot.

Magnetron & William - Magnetron is slightly smaller:
8294875393_5773161b6f.jpg

William & Blaze Anchor Bend:
8294873515_74b6be1e86.jpg

Magnetron & Blaze Anchor Bend:
8294876443_304a5dee80.jpg

William & 10mm BeeLine e2e & Blaze DFL:
8294874443_503c976d7e.jpg

Magnetron & 10mm BeeLine e2e & Blaze DFL:
8295928976_249ef9c8a5.jpg

It can be made to work with double loop hitches but there are limitations ... let the buyer beware.

I've just become aware that they are making a Magnetron that might replace the William ... it's called the Magnetron Rocklock:

210287_magnatron_rocklock_mcha.jpg

Now to find a box of them :/:

:onfire::onfire::onfire:

I just found the explanation of the name and the work principle.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EpFq8eFMc-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Interesting, but careful for it collecting the shaves from sawchain sharpening.

Thanks for the comparison pics, Jack. Does anything creep you out about them? Does the locking mechanism feel secure enough that you wouldn't worry about it hitting something and having it get stuck open?

I'll probably pick one up for use as a small ring too Nick. That's a great idea.

Apparently from what I have read, no personal experience, there are two locks, one on either side of the gate with individual magnets. This makes it triple action and stops unintended opening. I also read that there is no 'click click' in the gate when its locked, it is firmly in place.

Jack?

I saw a couple of the Rocklocks on ebay yesterday, just search black diamond climbing

I love the concept and the obvious precision of this carabiner, but if it can be opened with an opposed/pinching force it probably will also open from a rope loop or tight eye. For some uses that will not be a problem, but...

Dave

Apparently from what I have read, no personal experience, there are two locks, one on either side of the gate with individual magnets. This makes it triple action and stops unintended opening. I also read that there is no 'click click' in the gate when its locked, it is firmly in place.

Jack?

There's a distinct click-click-click on the ones I have. IDK what you read, maybe they get softer when they get old ... but mine make as much noise as the William's.

Good point Dave! If a tight eye slipped over the gate just right, squeezed both latches and pulled inward, it could conceivably pull the gate open. Probably, a slim chance ...
BUT, I have seen a spring block bounce against a stem and roll the pins so the plate opened ... what's chances of that. :O

Back