Big tough fir..from Dec 2005..

rbtree

Climbing Up
Better late than never, eh?!

8.5 years after we did this job, I finally edit and publish a video. It was a large, appx 44' dbh dead /douglas-fir, in extremely close quarters. Only a three foot wide space to work in. We utilized three lowering devices, the GRCS, Hobbs, and PortaWrap, and used the GRCS to lift some of the low limbs that had nowhere to go but up first. The extremely skilled BCMA Matt Follet assisted us for a few hours on the first day.
Video quality isn't up to today's standards, but I think it is worth watching. Definitely one of the most difficult spots we've had to work. No crane access whatsoever, or zip line possibilities.

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wXPe8WXKr3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did you finish it with a crane?

Wait, I just read your last sentence. I bet the trunk was a booger!

I recall that, when I got down to 40 feet or so, and into pretty danged big wood, I was able to tie some of the understory out of the way, and found a couple spots to drop the rounds....

Good one Rog. Did they keep the firewood ? My dentist is called Baker View, for obvious reasons.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Reg, Liz doesn't burn wood. WE gave it away. She's a great customer. I've worked there many times.

Marc, no damage. The fir hadn't been dead for long. Bark still mostly intact, iirc..... Small sections of branches likely broke off, as is evidenced in one of the clips..... but dead fir limbs are tough, so only small light pieces will break during lowering procedures.

Jay, the site is on Olympic View Dr, Edmonds, Wa. I have the location dialed in on YT

Back