big oak top threads the needle

Here's a challenge for you, Murphy. How about if you tried to spend an hour or two participating in this forum and make 5 posts in threads you haven't started, discussing something other than yourself or your jobs. I'll bet you $20 that you can't (or won't) do it. Nobody wants to read your posts because the only thing you talk about is you.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HxUuDPNbkJk?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HxUuDPNbkJk?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Murph, look at the big picture man. Look, I dont agree with a lot of what you post. But, your the man in the tree, its your name on the job, and its your wallet at stake. Sooooo, you gotta do what you feel is best. Thats what makes the world go round. If your methods are working out for you and you are laughing your way to the bank each day, cool. But, you lose your audience with the "Im superior to you" mentallity. People watch your videos, they really do. You've gathered quite an audience. But you lose them when you become high and mighty. Tree work goes right out the door, and it becomes a matter of being offensive. If you have a message to share with the world, such as considering alternate cuts, than have at it. But, if you want to be the teacher, and want other climbers out there to be your students, dont start off the day with a "Im better than you" attitude. All the students put their heads down on the desk and go right to sleep when you do that.

Ive seen you post things to the affect of "no one in my area is getting it done like me, no one." Dude come on. You and I both know loads of guys in that neck of the woods, and I cut my teeth on the main line. There are a handful of real bad to the bone climbers around you. Guys that put big wood on the ground and make it happen FAST. You may feel you are one of the top dogs, and thats great, but you lose your audience when you put other guys down. I cant remember a time when Alex Shigo was teaching his ways out at Longwood Gardens and making it clear that all his students were inferior. In his time, he came off with some things that folks thought were bogus. But, he was a patient teacher, and in due time, his ways became law. If you want your message to be heard, learn how to speak it. I could put up a video of me doing some BS work in a tree. Most of these guys at the TreeHouse will not flame me for it. They'd give me their ideas on some better ways, and they'd compliment me on the things that I did do well. Not because they all like me, because they dont. But because they know Im not claiming to be "mightier than thou" in a tree.

Give it some thought.

I must be really dumb; I send someone else up to do the climbing now.

Aside from whether the techniques are soundly founded or not, what I pick up here is that one person's pride doesn't allow him to be respectful of other people's pride. Pride is a big thing when it comes to having payed your dues to learn a thing, it grows out of that with continued experience, and not only reflects the past, but can also be a motivator for future endeavors. It gives strength, but it isn't always a good thing, because it can blind as well.

You have to be respectful of experienced people's pride generally, if you want to get along with them. Sometimes it means minimizing yourself a bit to do that, and you don't have to be in agreement, but it is really a give and take thing. If one goes roughly charging through another person's pride, ignores it, then problems arise.

I believe it comes down to one's priorities. If you want to get along as a first initiative, you can usually find a way to do that through the discourse. If on the other hand, the priority is just shouting your message, you will pretty much end up just talking to yourself. Some may say that they don't care, but I believe that less than to think that maturity is a factor. I think it better to hang and get to know the people a bit, before just putting up your shingle that announces your own expertise. That is how I see the better order of things as a craftsman/technician new in the community. Mutual respect is a positive foundation for relationships, makes for casualness and having more fun too.

Jay, you are a sage, plain and simple.

Jay, we have butted heads a time or two, and thats ok. But, I must say, your words are wise and very insightful.

Except of course if we are butting heads.....hahah

.... my Tai Chi teacher as well as many books use the term "humility" ...I always respect tree work well done .... I always stare at the Rockport Tree poster ... Hell I probably wouldn't be qualified enough to help carry the gear in on that one ...

+1 to the wise words Jay.

Murphy, I know you by your posts an reputation only.... You seem to not want to share the work and the techniques you use, but rather showcase them with an implied expectation of awe an applause from an audience that isn't here for the sole purpose of boosting your ego.

You obviously are an accomplished tree guy but seem to have no desire to make friends that have an open invitation to be critical. You said as much in saying

I have pretty much stopped trying to fit in anywhere. I just don't care anymore. And there is more to it than just a lack of social skills.

You do a fine gob videoing the work you do ....

Oh Dan'l just hasn't realized that he's not to only one that can put a tree on the ground --with or without a skid loader .Good grief they were doing that for centuries with a axe .Come to think of it though they just might have pulled the tree over with a yoke of oxen back in the axe days .If they screwed up then it was t-bone steaks on the grill I suppose .Not a total lose except the ox didn't much care for it .

Riggs? He's crazy. Murdoch's the only one he talks to.

That's good!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MDmBntfQBgU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MDmBntfQBgU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

It's ok to post your stuff if you think its good or great or even interesting, but you HAVE to be prepared for someone to have a different opinion and be able to deal with it. That is what chat forums are for, and I have found them to be mighty interesting and helpful.
Fine, make the points in your defense, but if someone still has a different opinion, agree to disagree or perhaps even ponder upon why their opinion might differ, the learning experience goes both ways. A degree of introspection goes a long way towards providing perspective on one's views of oneself!
It does hurt a bit to find that people do not necesarilly agree with you, especially when you are psyched about something, but that's life. Getting overly defensive is, how shall I say...pointless, if you still think you are right, just nod wisely and move on, time will prove out.

Back