Best rope puller

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Rajan.
I am a big believer in finesse over force. There are times you need a fast pull, but most we do are a coordinated effort between faller and puller with the continuous puller.
Adding tension when needed as signaled by hand or radio. Backing each cut up with wedges. We use stable braid on more static pulls, 3 strand when we want to store some energy. 300 feetofdouble braid will also stretch and store energy. Three strand just pulls through conifers better for me. Less grabbing by the bark platelets.
Here is another one I could not find last night Frankie. The camera was close to the LZ and the pull line. Better visual.https://youtu.be/fzMW-cif1iw
Sweet video ! That spar came close the the camera !

Yeah, my ground man pulling decided to chance his Apple phone for the shot. Conversation went like this...
"That stem is going to hit quite near where you are pulling from. When I see the tree commit, I'll say run!". He also interpreted that as a good vid shot. His phone..... He got it though.

I have had those rope pullers slip, I don't know if it was from using the wrong rope, or simply reaching the max pull rating. I've found they have only ever slip when you about reach your cranking limit, which is a lot of pull, but could be overcome by too heavy a tree.

1500lb is A LOT of pull ! It would take quite a few burly guys to generate that kind of pull lol ! Used in combo with felling wedges / proper technique you should be able to ease on down the yellow-brick road no problem ... now if the tree is a heavy back-leaner it might complicate matters - If so you could use another rope to “back-up” the maasdam puller if concerned about slippage

Plus if you already got MA set up, it’s easy to add a prusik and have progress capture in case the rope puller does slip or even if it fails completely. It’s happened before.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RC80QkfHbTo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe> ... Interesting what this guy says about what a man or truck on grass can pull ... lot less than expected

I have had those rope pullers slip, I don't know if it was from using the wrong rope, or simply reaching the max pull rating. I've found they have only ever slip when you about reach your cranking limit, which is a lot of pull, but could be overcome by too heavy a tree.

... Yep , sold mine with the three strand because. Generally pull with small or medium come along s then move up to the Tirfor for bigs. Though for the money and ease the Masdams are fine.

With the caveat I haven't even used mine yet, after looking it over, I think ProMaster is probably the best fit for the maasdam. Good "texture" with the 3strand, and squishy enough to wedge down in the gears well. The TreeMaster seems like it might be a little hard, and won't grip as well.

Pawls MUST fully engage, every time. They normally do.

Rope puller gears will wear.

Easy to do on their own.

Easy to not check.

If you're pulling hard enough for it to slip, you're probably needing to thin your hinge or add MA.

A man must know the limitations of his tools. Plan accordingly.
I have never had a "critical" slip and I am on my second unit. Add a stopper knot in the tail for insurance.
Parts can be purchased. But I retired my first one. One of my groundsman wanted it. Still uses it. Not hard to precondition, but it's reasonable enough to buy a new one.
You won't regret your purchase Frankie.
Mine gets used even stretching fences.
Hella handy if some one tips the mini :/:

:lol: All that good advice and then that "hhmmm" wonder what that really meant?...who ever tips a mini??? (OK, I do remember pictures....:D)

Not like we run on flat ground most the time here.
Ramp gave way once too. It broke when unloading, and over she went. I was alone that day since my help was a no show. Pulled her right back up.

With the caveat I haven't even used mine yet, after looking it over, I think ProMaster is probably the best fit for the maasdam. Good "texture" with the 3strand, and squishy enough to wedge down in the gears well. The TreeMaster seems like it might be a little hard, and won't grip as well.

I have found the firm lay of Treemaster to be better under load. ProMaster is softer, and can slip under load. Just my $.02.

Ah, good to know. I have both, and it may make a difference later this year when I need it :^)

A rope puller with the stretch of tree-master is great for getting your rig unstuck, alone. Pretension, drive out a bit, re-pretension, drive, rinse and repeat. It can give that extra little bit needed beyond the traction you have.

Being a simple man I do simple things .To me the solution would first be to get the bull rope in the tree .After that use a cable come-along using a beckey with a triple sliding hitch on the bull rope and a bowline to put the hook of the come along in .

Any rigging is just an application of physics ,it's simple stuff if you don't complicate it .For that matter if you had enough snatch blocks you could pull that tree with a garden tractor .

Back