Beehive, what's easier to do?! destroy or relocate!?

What do bees do?

• buzz!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • sting!

• make honey

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • none of the above

• All of the above !lol!

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It seems like a lot of us have been or are keeping bees.

When bees swarm, don't they ingest a lot of honey first to have nutrients for their travels and relocation? After awhile when they relocate, you can still smoke them. They don't have much honey in reserves at that time do they? If not, what does that do to the theory of smoke causing them to gorge on honey and then being able to distend their bodies to sting?

No need for smoke when hiving a swarm. Spray them lightly with sugar water.

I will bet anyone a steak dinner.....if you have some brood to pull from another hive( one fram, no queen on it) then put that in the hive the swarm will never leave.

I've used this trick when catching high swarms. Throwball limb above swarm, pull up cardboard nuc box with one frame of brood. Bingo, like a bee magnet.

I rescued two hives this year. I had put the pics in the work pic thread. Two hives on the same site. Craned off and delivered to a local beekeeper. He was super happy to get the hives.

Can you get those little containers of queen pheromone that you place in a queenless hive to keep things in order untill you can install a queen, or is that a commie thing?

Back