Beech Tree Take Down.

High Scale

Trust fund lobbyist.
My first movie making attempt.

My head hurts now, I will take the dog for a walk.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i234.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid234.photobucket.com/albums/ee56/highscale/BeechTDmovie.flv"></embed>

Nice video.

Is beech wood very hard? Also, what was the target you were trying to avoid?

Nice tree hate to see it come down, great job!
See Ya
Mike

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Beech is hard and pretty heavy, make that very heavy, that tree had the beginnings of Ustulina deusta, could have stayed up for years but then again it was in a place called the Mendips, high and exposed, my rope was blowing out at right angles during the day! The house owner did not want to take a chance.

I lowered most of it because it is so heavy and would have damaged the bedding walls and the nice screening hedge beneath had I just smashed it out and anyway it makes life easier for me, less cutting, Also easier for the groundys as they would have had to lift everything over the hedge, not fun.

The next day Andy got into some trouble snatching out the stem, he left his life line below the pulley point twice and got himself pulled into the trunk pretty hard bruising his ribs in the process.

Nevermind the tree felling >>> making a vid is some work, ain't it ?!? LOL My youngest wants to get involved with camera work, & I think it'd be a great field for him. So much to know & learn, and I'd be lost!
Great job, High Scale ... oh, it's "Carl" ? Cool !
Carl, I have to ask a couple of questions, & it's strictly for my learning & understanding :
First off, we don't have Beech trees like that here in Michigan. They top out at around 30' max... & I'm glad for the education. A super-hard / heavy wood, ey ? I wonder why it's not used in woodworking very much ? Maybe because it's so 'busy' ? I dunno.
O.K., the questions :
It didn't seem like you used notches or hinge cuts very much at all ? I would think that it could help reduce shock load to the tree & your lines, but like you mentioned >>> Beech is a hard wood & can take it. Just curious. Also, with a garden below I can understand that you'd maybe want the cuts to tear or slow down ? Again, just asking.
Also, I wanted to ask about your last post... about Andy taking a hit to the ribs ? I didn't really understand that... aren't all ropes below the pulley ? I've been caught without enough wraps on the porty & been sent into the dregs... no fun, and scary !
Again, cool vid.
Bring us s'more !!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nevermind the tree felling >>> making a vid is some work, ain't it ?!? LOL My youngest wants to get involved with camera work, & I think it'd be a great field for him. So much to know & learn, and I'd be lost!
Great job, High Scale ... oh, it's "Carl" ? Cool !
Carl, I have to ask a couple of questions, & it's strictly for my learning & understanding :
First off, we don't have Beech trees like that here in Michigan. They top out at around 30' max... & I'm glad for the education. A super-hard / heavy wood, ey ? I wonder why it's not used in woodworking very much ? Maybe because it's so 'busy' ? I dunno.
O.K., the questions :
It didn't seem like you used notches or hinge cuts very much at all ? I would think that it could help reduce shock load to the tree & your lines, but like you mentioned >>> Beech is a hard wood & can take it. Just curious. Also, with a garden below I can understand that you'd maybe want the cuts to tear or slow down ? Again, just asking.
Also, I wanted to ask about your last post... about Andy taking a hit to the ribs ? I didn't really understand that... aren't all ropes below the pulley ? I've been caught without enough wraps on the porty & been sent into the dregs... no fun, and scary !
Again, cool vid.
Bring us s'more !!!

Hello Teresa, I did use notches or hinge cuts I just didn't bother filming them, if you notice the piece I swung around the stem, that had a notch put into the Branch, underneath and slightly to to the side, this enabled the branch to pivot round, I left the hinge thicker on the top of the branch.

Andy had his strop above the pulley but his life line well below it, when he dropped a chunk out, it pulled the pulley and sling down the stem, (Smooth bark, heavy wood) Pulling his life line down and him into the trunk. The second time he did it he had even cut out a slot into the tree to try to hold the sling and pulley in place, even this didn't work, I think that I would have kept my lines above the pulley point but hindsight is a great thing.

My friend Stu has some film of this I think as he was there, I was not, I will try to obtain it to post it on this thread.

Thanks for all the great comments, good people, all.

Back