Basswood vs. Ash poles

HortGuy

TreeHouser
We have some customers who insist that they will only buy basswood poles instead of ash for pole saws.
Anybody have an idea why they think basswood is better?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ya, surprisingly enough, we sell almost as many wood as we do fiberglass. I think some people just prefer the feel of wood, some think they are lighter, and some like the price difference.
Personally, I would take fiberglass any day, even just for it's resistance to weather.

I don't have any wood poles currently, but I can say the Basswood is Much lighter than the ash poles. A older man opened me up to them, and I will like to add them to the stable at some point.

Do you have the Basswood poles?

He could not find them anymore, last he told me.

I would think bass wood would be lighter weight than ash .It would make sense though it wouldn't be as strong .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry, no we don't have them, but am interested in carrying them if I could find a supplier that wasn't a competitor.

I don't have any wood poles currently, but I can say the Basswood is Much lighter than the ash poles. A older man opened me up to them, and I will like to add them to the stable at some point.

Do you have the Basswood poles?

He could not find them anymore, last he told me.

I would burn in the names of famous arborists on the Ash poles and call them signature models. Bet they would sell like it works for baseball.

Come to think about it at one time I had one of those pruners that use a metal rod with a lever .It was made of some real light wood and it could have been bass wood .The thing was older than the hills .

We use both. Basswood are nice and light and have more bend. Ash are heavier, generally more solid and harder to break. For durability I prefer Ash but they weigh twice what a basswood one does, or it seems twice anyway.

The basswood are nice for say, a White Pine or hemlock hedge. Just about a million cuts, looking up, wrenching your neck and back.

Looking at the specific gravity and density charts, it appears that Ash can be as much as twice as heavy, or down to about a third more heavy than Basswood, given variations within a species.

Basswood is just that much lighter than ash and, fiberglass for that matter, but is not as durable as the last two. If you have a long day running a polesaw every ounce counts.

I rarely use one in a tree, mostly from the ground.

Come to think of it, I'm rarely in a tree. Can count on one hand how many trees Ive climbed this year.

They are a valuable tool, and I wouldnt be without one on site, but like butch says, I think they are widely overused.

Not climbable is a pretty loose term, IMO. If I need one Ill call for it, but many climbers drag it with them for their entire climb.

My goal is to never use my excellent pole saw. Let it remain safe, in my truck.

Actually, I use it more for raising service drops than cutting anything. Go figure! :drink:

Basswood

We have some customers who insist that they will only buy basswood poles instead of ash for pole saws.
Anybody have an idea why they think basswood is better?

Round basswood is classic! What is better than the feel of wood as you climb around in a tree? Trees are wood after all.:D Basswood is light with a little flex and NO splinters!!! If you brake it you can fix it in minutes and keep working or if you have the ferrules you can have two short sections that can be put together to make a long pole. No need to toss anything in the trash. I had a nice basswood pole for many years that was so worn-in I could feel the cuts as if I had my fingers right there at the branch.

I like my boots leather, socks wool and climbing line natural 3 strand Hemp. :lol:

Well maybe not the hemp rope anymore.

But I do want to know where to get basswood poles. Now that Kuemmerling is gone nobody seems to know where to get them. Not to mention the double thick extra roomy and extra long hooded zipper sweatshirts they had.8)

Welcome In loco. Since you mentioned kuemerlings, where are you from? I get a bit curious when something local to me is mentioned.

" In loco nomen"..cute.
A scholar, I take it.
Welcome.

Back