basic tree trimming instruction for landscapers

"What is the goal of the pruning? To provide clearance for vehicles and pedestrians? To open up the canopies for security lights?

Nothing should be cut without a specific goal or purpose in mind."

Spoken like a true BCMA candidate. :D

I have an unusual request to fulfill tomorrow. One of my regular clients owns a big landscape outfit (they have 50 employees just in the maintenance division) and he asked me to meet one of his crews at a shopping center tomorrow morning and instruct them on proper pruning of some smaller oak trees in the parking lot. The difficulty lies in that parking lot pruning is about the worst thing you can do to oak trees and it goes against most of what I regularly preach to anyone who will listen. Anybody have some basic tips (Paul B?) that I can use to get these guys heading in the right direction?

Hopefully I'll have a translator as almost all of his employees are Hispanic.

Sounds like a great gig! Curious, what company is it? Do you remember the Oyler Brothers? I think they sold to Valley Crest years ago.

Isn't that like teaching the enemy?

Not over here. I have an offer on my website, that I'll instruct other companies in the industry. Haven't had takers yet, but it will probably come as sure as the presentations at garden shows, Master Gardeners and garden clubs.

If fact, that would even be open to Skwerl.

But seriously, someone can get a lot of mileage from something like that. If you hone your own skills, most others will continually catching up anyway.

:P

I never claimed to be a tree trimmer,logger or any other such thing .However as broad general statement there really are no real "secrets " regarding any thing .No matter what the subject is those with the desire to better themselves will eventually figure it out .

I have considered giving a free seminar to a group (headed by my gf's stepson) on tree felling and limbing. They cut firewood, and I went to spectate once this winter. I couldn't take it for long. They haven't much of a clue.

A tad off subject but amusing to see .Van Wert Ohio has a recycling place that you can haul old appliances,yard trimmimgs ,anything to .The tree guys just drop off their chips,whole trees whatever .If you want you can get the reground mulch after it goes through a big tub grinder .All free .

On Saturday some of the locals attack those huge knotty chucks of dry as a bone oak about 3 feet in diameter with their little saws .About like ants on an ant hill .It's a hoot to watch .

I have considered giving a free seminar to a group (headed by my gf's stepson) on tree felling and limbing. They cut firewood, and I went to spectate once this winter. I couldn't take it for long. They haven't much of a clue.
I find it painful to watch people who don't know how to cut.

Back