Barters, Trades or Cash...?

Hobby Climber

TreeHouser
Ontario Canada where Detroit River meets Lake Erie
As an alternative to Cash, it would be interesting to see what kinds of items or services others here may have bartered for or traded services in return for tree work.

Some of the things I've bartered & traded services for in the past were:

-Tree work for a utility trailer,
-Tree work for a personal legal work,
-Tree work (my time for his time) for another companies bucket truck,
-Tree work & some rough cut black walnut boards in trade for my new solid white oak kitchen cabinets.
-Tree work for small engine & auto mechanic work.
-Tree work for cash & a snow blower,
-etc.

By doing this, it saves the customer cash out of pocket for something they no longer need or for something can provide with a little of their time.

This method of payment obviously does not work for everyone, especially with the larger tree companies but for the smaller companies & the independents, its not a bad option.

So lets see what other Tree Houser's have Traded or Bartered for in return for tree work.

-(post a picture is you like).

HC

ps -Butch, if this topic has been posted earlier, feel free to relocate it.

I’ve worked stuff out with friends like that. Good friend is an HVAC guy with a van full of parts and such, I trimmed his trees and he installed my new hot water tank and another time dropped what he was doing and came right away when the furnace broke in January.

If I was running a tree service, I probably wouldn’t be too thrilled about clients calling with offers of barter though. But for friends, sure. I’ve done a little tree work for 25 lbs of fresh venison too.

I never get involved in barters/trades.

You pay me currency, I pay you currency.

Then I’ll buy that thing off you.....for currency.
I’m with Mick on this ... cash is king ... tells no tales and leaves no trails !

You can get more value from trade(see flushcut above). Depending on your accounting practices, it's also invisible to the government.

Or you can get less value especially on mechanical equipment ... been there done that ... I’ll take the $$$ ... ymmv

Back