Bandit 2650T Stump Grinder...who has one?

candoarms

TreeHouser
Hello friends. It's been a while again. Hope all is well with everyone here.

I'm in the market for a stump grinder. I want one that my wife or daughter could operate for me. I'm thinking radio remote and tracks....something along the lines of the Bandit 2650T.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Bandit 2650? If so, I'd love to hear back from you.

And if anyone here would like to discuss stump grinders in general, please do. I always enjoy the lessons.

Thanks a heap in advance.

Joel

Why? Out of curiosity, my mate has just bought the same grinder as me (rg35) but his is tracked. What's the advantage?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm looking at a tracked model for a couple of reasons. The tracked machines are capable of climbing and descending stairways....such as those found in residential areas that are built on steep terrain, in which many retaining walls are found. The tracks will also help prevent soil compaction in those fancy yards that some of my customers have surrounding their beautiful homes.

For ease of maintenance, I'm thinking the direct hydraulic drive model will provide the ladies with satisfactory performance, without having to do much in the way of replacing belts, or doing other mechanical work. The wheeled machines need to have the outer set of wheels removed in order to get through a gate.

Joel

Mick, I'm aware of the reduced power at the cutter head when using direct hydraulic drive. I'm thinking if I go with something in the 60 horsepower range, the reduced power at the cutter would be about equal to a belt driven machine with about 45 horsepower.

Here's the sales pitch.....

2015 Bandit 2650T Track Stump Grinder

61hp Perkins T4i Diesel Engine 35" Wide Grading Blade Radio Remote Control 21" x 1 1/4" New Revolution Cutter Wheel The Model 2650 Track is simply the most versatile track stump grinder in the 60 horsepower category. This high-powered machine is a jack-of-all-trades, well-suited for tree services, municipalities, and dedicated stump grinding professionals doing everything from large land clearing projects to delicate backyard removals. It rides on the same proven, expandable rubber track undercarriage from the Model 2900, giving this exceptional machine unmatched maneuverability and all-terrain capability. And with hydrostatic direct drive to the cutterwheel, you’ll spend more time working while spending less on maintenance.

Self-propelled model

Bandit 2650T.jpg

Joel

I'm kicking myself so hard right now. I could have had myself one but I passed it up at an auction last Fall. It sold for 31,000, with only 282 hours on it.

I'll keep searching the auction sites and hopefully I'll find another.......hopefully. I'm pretty much set on the 2650T, but I also like the Carlton 7015T. Either one would be fine for my needs.

Joel

I vote for the Carlton 7015TRX. We put 4K hours on self propelled hydro grinders with 50 and 83hp. The 60hp 7015 would keep up with or outgrind them, plus the remote control. I'm not a fan of Bamdit's "bump down" style remote, I don't know if they're all like that or not.

I hope to become a Carlton dealer reasonably soon.

Lumberjack,

Thanks for ringing in. I had no idea there was a difference between the switch operations on the different brands of remotes.

I've been watching a few YouTube vids on the Carlton 7015TRX. It seems they have a tendency to throw tracks. I'm not sure if the gals would be able to handle a situation like that. I wonder if the Bandits throw tracks, as well. I don't know. Maybe you have experience with these?

Joel

I demoed a 2890 bandit w/ remote and Decided to go with the 2550 because of maneuverability.

The machines are large and long so you need a lot of space for turning around to use the blade and that sort of thing.
The remote is great but I just didn't like the size/ maneuverability of the bigger unit.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Mine threw its tracks a few times, but I had the older track system... the new system is supposed to be better all around. Throwing tracks happened when wallowing around in chips. If I was going new, it would be the 74hp 7015trx with a push blade. The push blade would reduce the need to wallow in chips.

What's your timeframe? I'm trying to secure a line of credit for inventory financing Carlton so I can become a dealer. They're the best grinders in the market, IMO.

Lumberjack,

I live WAY up north, so I won't need a grinder before late April.

At any rate, I highly doubt that I'll be purchasing a new one. If you're in with Carlton by then, maybe you'll have a dependable trade-in available for sale.

The track-throwing issue seems to be preventable, so it might just be a matter of operator training....to include lessons on how to put the tracks back on when they're thrown off. It's not a difficult task, and it doesn't require a whole lot of grunt work. It's really not much more difficult than replacing a derailed bicycle chain.

Joel

Joel, I would recommend to at least trying a wheeled version. We have the wheeled 2013 Carlton 7015 and I am extremely high on the machine. There are a few things I do not like, such as the high center of gravity and lack of traction. This summer we demoed the tracked version because it has a lower center of gravity and much better traction. Before the demo I was sold on the machine, because with these issues from the wheeled version being solved this machine just has to be perfect right? We had the machine for 10 days and ground around 100 stumps and I could not wait to give it back. I could not believe how awful this machine was on lawns. When we had the machine we had drought like conditions in the middle of the summer with as close to perfect ground conditions as possible, and we still had problems. During these conditions we could drive the Gehl al540 around with no issues, and that weighs over 2,000 pounds more without a load. Every time we turned there would be a ding in the grass with the tracked 7015. Even going in a straight line would put impressions into the soil. We just cant have that in our area. I could not even imagine what the machine would do in less than ideal conditions. The wheeled version is ideal for residential conditions, and the tracked unit it ideal for everything else. If you do not have to worry about keeping impact to a minimum then the tracked unit is a better overall machine. I now appreciate our wheeled machine so much more.

FJR,

I appreciate the feedback very much on the wheeled unit vs. the tracks, my friend. You may have changed my mind on this....but I still don't much care for the fact that the outer wheels have to be removed in order to get it through a gate.

Now why in the world don't they make a wheeled unit with an expanding-retracting wheel spacing system like the tracked units have? I wonder. It just doesn't seem too difficult to me.

Joel

The tracked machines will tear up lawns when turned tightly. Ground pressure is significantly lower but they still bite on turns. I've only run the Vermeer sc60(?) and multiple mini mounted tracked grinders. Not to bad of lawn damage. Thrown tracks suck but that is mostly operator error.
Hurry Carl. My boss is after a Carlton hurricane trx. He wants the big boy for some reason. I checked them out. Awesome machine but big$$$$$ I think he's talking to someone in NY about it. He went into our local dealer ( who doesn't stock a single machine) and got the brochures but the guy never called him with any type of info.

I never had a problem with turf damage, but I made sweeping turns. The only time I left ruts I didn't feel comfortably with was driving through a yard with standing water on it.

That would be a wicked first sale, Rich! Who's your local dealer? You can PM or email if you like. Carlton is requiring me to put machines in inventory to become a dealer... how many hasn't been hammered out.

I take the boy for braces for tomorrow morning, then I'm going to go over to my accountant to talk to him about getting the books done for the bank for the credit line for the inventory, I'd love to get the ball rolling!

Back