BALLS!

ive heard of the ones in the boom sheave, but not on the ball. i usually single line with a round ball. on occasion we 2 part with a similar setup as johns second ball

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
cool...how is that different from how a crane already knows the weight.....I mean where does normallly get the info?

the cranes I use dont have that but they know the weight

but there is a digital readout of what it weighs in the cab? so that ain't no estimate:?

Regular cranes have load scales, that read out every 100lbs. That operation you have shown is an aftermarket scale, that most likely will readout exact weights to the pound.

I've never noticed any cranes around here with a bullet ball. I'm only guessing that the taper at the top would have something to do with the anti-two-blocking interface on the boom tip.

or is it something else?

Cranes have a chart that tells the operator what the maximum safe load is at any given boom angle and reach. But that does not tell him what the actual load weighs. A load sensor gives a digital readout in the cab of the exact weight of each load. When I'm doing a removal, the operator can estimate the weight of each pick and apply that much force (using the load sensor readout) as I'm cutting, so that as I finish the cut the piece will just float away without either pinching the saw (not enough lift) or flying haphazardly off the cut (too much lift).

By knowing precisely the weight of every piece I cut, I've gotten much better over the years at estimating the weights before I cut them. This makes for a much safer operation and fewer surprises.

I've never noticed any cranes around here with a bullet ball. I'm only guessing that the taper at the top would have something to do with the anti-two-blocking interface on the boom tip.

or is it something else?

dunno....maybe just a Tidano thing

Back