Backpack trip Idaho Sawtooths, 2008

Burnham

Woods walker
Melanie, Jasper, and I returned to our absolute favorite backcountry for a weeks' backpacking. I have posted pics before from some of this same area and folks mostly seem to like seeing this stunning country, so here's a few from this year's visit.

Attachments

• DSCN1725.JPG
    DSCN1725.JPG
    684.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN1726.JPG
    DSCN1726.JPG
    659.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1728.JPG
    DSCN1728.JPG
    621.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN1691.JPG
    DSCN1691.JPG
    660.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1683.JPG
    DSCN1683.JPG
    714.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN1729.JPG
    DSCN1729.JPG
    645.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some more.

Attachments

• DSCN1689.JPG
    DSCN1689.JPG
    671.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1692.JPG
    DSCN1692.JPG
    674.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1706.JPG
    DSCN1706.JPG
    711.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN1741.JPG
    DSCN1741.JPG
    742.5 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN1745.JPG
    DSCN1745.JPG
    684.6 KB · Views: 19
well done Burnham, Jasper does look happy to have the opportunity to get back out there, I like the picture where you have obviously stopped to snap the shot and he is about 30 feet ahead on the trail, not stopping to pose. :D

Pic 3 in the 1st post is amazing.

I thought that is similar to your office. I figured that "to get away from it all" you would vacation in New York City.

Hey nice to see your back! Beautiful pix as always. Musta got a new tent, looks roomy.
Jasper is looking fit as a fiddle :)

We had a thread a bit ago about heat stroke in dogs, as Jasper ages you may have to carry his pack for him:lol:

Thanks, all.

Frans, I read that one, something to pay attention to for certain. That's the same Sierra Designs Tiros Expedition that we've been using for 6 or 8 years.

Scott, old snow banks...right you are.

must be nice when its real hot to beable to hike a fue hrs to find a cool down spot

We were on the other side of the Sawtooths on Saturday. Next year you guys should let us feed you coming or going Burnham. We don't care if you are stinky from backpacking.

I can't wait until Haley is a little older and we can see that country first hand. Lovely pictures as usual.

Gorgeous pics. Reminds me of high Sierras on the border of Sequoia and King's Canyon.

I've been backpacking in the Sierras behind Kings Canyon. Its pretty country. We did a hike called the Rae Lakes Loop.

In the one pic it look like there is an awesom line up the crag right in the middle.
With a true summit and possibly and arete , How did it look .
Nice nice pictures im envious just absolutly green.

burn, any concern for bear it that area? nics pics
Seems like the backcountry bears are not acclimated to people, so there is little to no problem once you are away from the trailhead camps. Some concern there, but proper food storage and garbage management practices have always served to keep us free from hassles. To the best on my knowlege and from personal observation, we are only dealing with black bears in the Sawtooths.

We were on the other side of the Sawtooths on Saturday. Next year you guys should let us feed you coming or going Burnham. We don't care if you are stinky from backpacking.

I can't wait until Haley is a little older and we can see that country first hand. Lovely pictures as usual.
Your standing offer of hospitality is much appreciated, Darin. Thank you. We'll keep it in mind.

Do you have to bring all your food in Burnham?
You sure do, Steve. No Safeway stores for a looooong ways:D. We do fish some and enjoy making a dinner or two from the results, but instead of food you have to carry fishing equipment and extra cooking gear and stove fuel, so it's a net gain in carry weight to do it.

In the one pic it look like there is an awesom line up the crag right in the middle.
With a true summit and possibly and arete , How did it look .
Nice nice pictures im envious just absolutly green.
Jerry, there are potential routes everywhere you look, most of them virgin. In 30 years of backpacking into the Sawtooths I have yet to see rock climbers, though I hear they do use the east side of the range some. We approach from the west, much poorer roads and longer distances to access the high country...I don't think anyone is climbing the rock you've seen in my pics.

Back