Awww Shucks, we'll come back

• Thread starter BostonBull
  • Start date
  • Replies 29
  • Views 5K
B

BostonBull

The guys found this 110' up in a White Pine today while setting up for a crane removal.

2 baby Redtail Hawks.

We will go back after they have left the nest for the removal.

Attachments

• Hawk Babies.jpg
    Hawk Babies.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 35
That's cool. I've been doing a little work with the local Audubon Society this year helping to get fallen babies back in their nests. I've re-nested some horned owls and a red shouldered hawk.

:beer: to the crew for rescheduling.

We've had to do the exact same once before with owls, but when we can back they were still in the tree. We got em down no problem and some guy from the zoo came and got the the owlets. Man, they screeched when he grabbed em! LOUD!

darin and i came across some last year in a hollow maple limb. i strapped the chunk back up on a nearby limb and mama finished raising them:)

I'm headed back to a tree this weekend that I first went up last fall. After finding a nest with 3 baby racoons where it had previously been topped, I told him a crown restoration would have to wait. You'd think people would understand and be nice about this (and most people probably are) but this guy told me to just throw the f*#!ing things out of the tree and finish the job. Needless to say, I told him I'd be back in a few months. I know a lot of people think racoons are nothing more than pests, but when it came to actually throwing the cute little buggers to their death I couldn't do it. :(

Speaking of redtails I saw an amazing thing coming back from Columbus Ohio today .An adult redtail hit two phases of a 7200 volt line and dropped like rock. Just hit the ground shook his head and walked around in a daze .Dang thing must be related to a cat, nine lives or something .

Those little fuzz balls will become one of the most adaptable efficient birds of prey in the world once they get grown .

If you see an abudance of birds of prey it means that the prey animals are plentifull in the area which pretty much says a lot for the eco system .As a matter of fact in an adjacent woods to mine is a nesting pair of redtails :)

The picture is of a juvenile than tried to fly through my window last year and nearly gave me a heart attack when it made a big thump about 3 feet away from me .The little guy was a bit shaken up but was OK .

Attachments

• redtail 005.jpg
    redtail 005.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I cant take credit here. it was the owner and his crane crew.

Great guys and very understanding homeonwner!

Here, here!

There's times when the wheels just got to stop so some fledglings can grow some wings and fly.

Like Willie, I transplanted the hollow sections to neighboring trees so the parents could finish their job. Squirles, wood peckers. All successful too.

The most memorable though was when I come to a redwood and started clearing room at the base to make an undercut. A little wren lit on my arm and then lit on the trunk of the tree right in front of my face. Eye to eye.

Over the years I learned that this was a message. So I stopped and looked closely in the bark ridges of this tree I was about to cut down. And yes, there was crevice in the bark. And in that crevice was 3 pair of eyeballs looking at me, along with the little wren.

So I left the tree stand. End of the day I told Vic, the cat skinner, "You'll find a redwood marked to cut along side the skid road up the east fork. Don't disturb the tree because there's some wrens nesting in the bark. I'll come back in a couple of weeks and cut it after their on the wing."

I seen Vic that evening at the Gualala Hotel and he told me, " Jer, I looked in the bark of that tree you left and the birds were all looking at me. It was a nice thing that you left it."

And we're all big bad ugly loggers. Yeah, right. I was a fledgling once myself.

Yup I've worked right around a tree with baby hawks in it before and no one on the crew (and the crew had 4 owners at that time working on site)questioned the call and it was to our great inconvenience as well, also a beauty tree to leave. But yarding there's no going back to set-up and take one tree.

Jerry's story got me to remembering a Forest Service C cutter recert class I was in several, several years back. Ol' D.D. Dent was the certifier. We were falling leave trees in a shelterwood unit, using the class to meet a down woody material prescription. There were about ten of us cutters. As it turned out, I was about the third cutter Dent called on...he set me the task of laying down a nice oldgrowth Douglas fir, about 34 inches ( I recall 'cause I was majorly relieved to note that I'd just barely be able to face and back it without double cutting with my 066/36" bar...nobody wants any extra challenge when cutting for Dent :))

Well, I sounded the tree, plumbed the lean, decided where to lay it and walked out the lay to check for snags and stumps. About 75 feet out I almost stepped on a tiny spotted fawn, just a few days old. It was curled up snug under a vine maple, never moving a muscle like mama and genetics teach it, hoping the predator would walk on by.

No way could I leave it there for my fall, and I knew we'd be as likely as not to put another one in the same area before we got done.

So while 9 FS C cutters and that fine sob Doug Dent stood there and watched me, I gathered that fawn up in my arms and walked a good 500 feet out of the unit and into the adjacent stand a ways...laid that little babe down under another vine maple and it lay there quiet and still, eyes as big and brown as anything.

It had to be at least 10 minutes before I made it back to the class, my saw, and my tree.

Through it all Dent never said a murmurin' word. I cleaned my escape route, faced it up, started the backcut, set wedges, finished the backcut, and wedged it over...an easy fall, really.

At the stump autopsy, per usual, Dent gave me credit for what I did right, gave me a few pointers on something he'd like to see me concentrate more on...run of the mill. But at the end he turned and said to the group "you boys know that we walk out the lay to look for hazards and unseen obstacles or dips that might either damage the log or reach back and some other way bite us on the azz...but you just saw another real good reason. This guy did a good thing there. That doe will find it."

I was pretty pleased.

Burnham, I can see it in your face that that's the kind of guy you are. :thumbup:

Back