Im back

Treehuggn4life

Treehouser
So I kinda sorta had to take about a 4.5 year involuntary leave of absence. But I finally got paroled last Thurs. It's good to be back in the saddle again. So, fill me in on what I have missed. Butch is still Butch I see.😉

Some very good, some really, really bad. Butch has a couple of threads going that detail his health issues...you'll find them easily enough. Welcome back, btw :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My name is Kenn Shawcroft from Colorado. I have been around on this site and those other ones for about 15 years. I first met Butch on arboristsite way back when. He even drunk called me out of the blue one time.

Is Stumper still around? I used to sub climb for him back in the day. I was locked up in his town. Actually I wasn't all that locked up. I was on a wildland firefighting crew. So even in the joint I was running a saw and doin cool shit.

It's good to be back.

I recently rejoined the forum again after a decade or so hiatus, was hoping to read Stumper again (Justin if memory serves), real nice fella.

wildland FF'g while locked up, sounds cool, do tell!

A definite different angle for sure. My brother spent about eight years locked up but I don't think he got to do anything as cool as Wildland firefighting. Give us some details on the firefighting and Chainsaw use when you get a chance. Thanks.

Colorado department of corrections
Has 3 type 2 inmate fire crews. SWIFT (state wildland inmate fire team) We work with the forest service, BLM, or what ever agency the fire falls under. We work hand in hand with the hot shots and the initial attack crews. We are a type 2 hand crew with 3 sawyers. Mostly we just chink fire line and cold trail. It's not nearly as glamorous as it sounds. If there is shitty grunt work to be done they call us in. If there are no fires burning we do fire mitigation work or flood prevention projects. On a good note for every day we are out working fire or mitigation it is one day off our sentence. I served 4.5 years on a 9 year sentence.

Shitty grunt work is part of anything that's cool has been my experience. Just goes with the territory. But I'm sure you got to work with some pretty cool people, hear some good stories, and got to do some good stuff some of the time. Very cool that it would reduce a sentence like that.

You guys are gonna love the pay scale.
$6.85 per day for mitigation
$10.85 per day for mitigation over 12 hrs
12.85 per day for fires.
The best thing about fighting fires was the catered chow.

Back