Awesome New DVD's From Gerald Beranek!

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
I just received three new dvds from Jerry. They are called "Throwline," "Spurs & SRT," and "Climbline." They were most interesting to watch, to say the least. Jerry took the time to explain everything and demo all the gizmos and gadgets associated with tree climbing. I never actually understood how the throwline boomerang thing worked, but Jerry gave a good demo and explaination. You even get to see Jerry throw a tantrum, lol!
I'd rather have Jerry's training DVD's anytime over those overpriced ArborMaster videos anyday! Keep them coming, Jerry!

And where did you get that big lead ball? :D

He told me he was working on them. Better go and check my mailbox... Cannot hardly wait to check them out!

That alone will be worth the price of admission I'm sure.:lol:

I just hope Jerry charges a fair price, and by fair I mean fair to him. I'm sure alot of work goes into those vids.

Alright, why was I not aware of these new videos? I just got one new DVD from Jerry about a week ago and he never mentioned the other three new ones. Jerry, when you read this please send me the new ones and an invoice.
:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was just watching (an older dvd) Frans getting in trouble from a park ranger for climbing Iron John. Frans! You lawbreaker!!!

I'd rather have Jerry's training DVD's anytime over those overpriced ArborMaster videos anyday! Keep them coming, Jerry!

I don't know if Jerry is capable of doing anything less than excellent. I still thumb throuh High Climbers.... just for the pics that never get old.

I was just watching (an older dvd) Frans getting in trouble from a park ranger for climbing Iron John. Frans! You lawbreaker!!!

Actually I dont think their is any specific written law forbidding tree climbing...

The DVD's come as a set called, "Working Climber", DVD Series One, Access and movement Through the Tree.

Disk 1, The Throwline. 1 hour long, if you can believe it. How in the world can there be one hour of heaving a weight and line over a limb? Well, it's there.

Disk 2, has three titles, "Entering the tree" 36 minutes. It goes into old and new school double line techniques. From knots to gadgets to foot locking . "Spur and Flipline Climbing" 33 minutes. It begins with climbing pecker poles and ends with a 14 foot dbh by my friend Erick Schats. In between that the fliplines, safeties, spurs, and techniques are discussed. And then, "SRT", 32 minutes. The tools and techniques used in SRT climbing and descending systems. A lot of nice trees in that one. More of a showy title. But accurate as I could make it.

Disk 3, "Using The Climbline" 1 hour and 25 minutes. Aspects and methods of movement through the tree, vertical and horizontal. A lot of rope tricks for getting around. And how to through a hissy fit when you get your lines stuck. Ha!

Over 4 hours of near constant narrative. The script was over 200 pages. Just something to do since I've been laid off.

Bailey's will be listing the DVD set in their Xmas catalog which comes out in October. The price of $79.95 is a bit steep for an accomplished climber, who most already know what they need in order to get by safely, but less expensive than other competitive DVD sets a beginner may spend their money on. And that's where it's directed.

Following up next year will be "Working Climber" Series 2, Cutting and Rigging the Tree. Probably be a 3 disk set also. Already have started working on it. As far as image and video files go. The script is yet to be written.

Will be at least 5 or 6 weeks before the first set is even available to the public. The packaging and production is still underway.

When it comes available I'll be sure to let you know.

Oh, and the big lead ball? It's a trolling weight used for commercial salmon fishing.

It you can believe it I've seen salmon jump clean out of the water pulling those troll weights behind them. Awesome fish.

So how come Butch gets a copy already? :P
I'm still interested in getting a copy whenever it's convenient, Jerry. I'll make good use of it by sharing it with younger climbers here locally. The price doesn't scare me off. :)

Brian, as much as I would like to send you the set for the exact reason you mention I can't,, First because the launch date doesn't coincide with it.

And second, this one I'm working with the resale'rs. It's not private sales.

For now the copies I sent out to friends in the industry are for review purposes.

Not to worry, you have been a supportive figure, and then some, and when the packaged set is ready for delivery I will see you get one.

In the meantime hold on to your horses.

Jerry, that price seems low to me. I will certainly get a copy and show it to my employees. I wonder if you can get ISA to review and offer CEU's for it? That would certainly help sales.

I posted some thoughts about the DVD set on the Buzz. Sure wish I had seen tapes like that when I was starting out.
But even now, I sure learned alot from it.

Actually I dont think their is any specific written law forbidding tree climbing...

Amen to that brother!

I was in Rocky Mountain National Park a couple years back and I set up a low zipline for my kids and our friend's kids. We had plenty of time on it and fun. I set a GRCS on one tree and a loopie with a block on the other. No damage to the tree what so ever.

You know the drill... an arrogant park ranger (and side kick) told me to take it down. I said I'd comply, but I still had to ask why. He said along these lines, "There's a lot of beetle in them trees. We don't want them to be disturbed." I said, "I care about trees so much that I actually understand the biology of these trees and that there was no harm to these trees. I took caution and little impact on these trees. We just wanted to have some fun."

They didn't like my response.:what:

The usual reason I hear is that it is their job to protect the natural resources.
Tree Climbing threatens those natural resources according to the rangers. The interpretation of what harms a tree/natural resources, is left almost entirely up to the ranger on site to determine.

Did you know that in a national forest, it is a misdemeanor to stray off the marked path?
So access to any national forest land is limited to developed paths created by the forest 'service'. No marked official path, no access.

Much of our forest land is closed off to the public. The forest 'service', opens or closes our forest land to public access at will.

The reasons given are: Budget constraints, inability to meet ADA (americans with disabilities act) requirements, protecting endangered species reproduction, areas under 'study', areas 'too dangerous' for the general public, etc etc.

While many of the reasons make sense to me, my personal experience with rangers has shown me that overall the relationship between the rangers and the public is one of 'us and them'. Of all the rangers I have come into contact with, the attitude is that the general public is a trespasser. A trespasser who, simply by being there, must be monitored and watched.

Hard not to see their point as so much of the general public truly do not have the first clue about conservation protection or even care about it. Sure, when asked most people will claim they care, but ask them to pack out every bit of trash they pack in, and they have problems with doing that (for example).

But, nevertheless, having a park closed because there is no money to maintain a porta-potty, or the parking lot cannot be patrolled regularly by the police, is a hard one for me to accept.

People who DO practice conservation and have a respect and understanding of what it means to protect our natural resources get lumped together with other members of the public who DO NOT practice these principals.
I cannot blame the ranger, after all it is too hard to be able to tell one member of the public from another just from looking at them.

Take me, for example. Here I am, going to climb a tree in the park. I KNOW I will take every care to not harm the tree(s) I am going to climb. However on tree climbs in the past, I have been with climbers who are great climbers, but nevertheless scamper up the tree and break off all kinds of branches on their way up. Or smoke a cig and leave the butt on the ground.

Even me, who supposedly understands how to be careful, will snap off a tender shoot in the tree, or trample some fern on the ground.
So it is a tough situation for all concerned.

My solution is to avoid any contact with the rangers. Get in and get out 'low slow and under the radar'. Small groups of people, minimal impact.

Gerry Baranek taught me that. It took me awhile to truly understand what he was talking about, but it is truly best to climb these trees with only very small groups of like minded people.

It's Jerry Beranek, Franz. Notice the E after the B.

Sorry Ger, I know just how it feels to have people mangle your name. :thumbup:

Franz
Frianz
Fraus
Fritsz
Fruns
Frous
Frantz
To name a few I have seen over the years....:lol:

Sincerely,

FRANS

Back