Avenue of the Giants

Think it was in Jerry's book that he mentions about two piece jack hoses blowing out and being super dangerous, always remembered that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You're right about that, Jay.

Burnam, it's very odd to not see a ball head on the ram of that Heiny. Though, except for the height and color it's so close to the Duff-Norton.

I never used a Heiny myself, but could always tell who did by the size of their jack seat.

Great boat anchors, both! Though seriously I put my bet on the Duff so many times.

Oh, of which brings some scary memories to mind, and a few jack ass moments with those machines.

I guess it came out of a railroad shop. Don't know why my dad bought it, you could balance anything we've got on the 20 ton.:/:

I meant we could lift any piece of equipment on the farm with the 20 ton. I am pretty sure if you dragged the 100 ton out there, the tree would fall to lay just out of respect.:roll: OK, enough derailing.

The Silvey aluminum jacks look real nice, with the gauge, but those puppies are expensive! Excluding the weight, any reason not to use a regular bottle jack, if you widened the base and put on a plate over the ram? I've thought of trying to make one up with springs, like the Silveys. Have never seen one except in photos, does the jack plate just sit on the ram, or is there a hole in the underside where the ram fits into the plate? Thanks.

jay, a little wind will easliy blow out your typical bottle jack in a big tree. ive used them to good effect in medium sized trees but always block the back cut as it opens just incase

Oh lawdy that winch drum would be spinning at 300 mph .:O Can you imagine what kind of a backlash that would be on a one inch steel cable .:\:

Last year a friend of mine in fortuna, tore off the boom of the prentice loader, it has a 60k winch on the side of the boom and the cable goes out thru the bypass grapple,
we had a very large fir on a slope being winched over, the operator winched her over as she commited he turned away with it to keep the line clear, (at the last second they turn towards the tree) usually there is enough slack, well no spotter was being used and no one saw a clevice that attached the choker to the main line, get pulled up to the grapple, well needless to say when the tree hit the ground it tore the boom off at the dog ears (pivot point)at the base of the machine, laid the boom on the slope, as the boom tore off, so did the cab, the faller looked up hill and saw the cab come a tumblin downhill, the prentice was spraying hydraulic oil about 8' in the air,
the operator layin over the controls, only injuries were cuts to the face and ears from the breaking glass.
well now they use a spotter, took nearly 2 weeks to rebuild the prentice,
scary for the operator, ya have to respect those big heavy trees.
the guy that cut that tree on the ave had to have run like hell

HEY GB have you looked at the stump of the big leaner that caltrans removed just south of weott on 101 south bound, heavy leaner?

Woodworking boy...silveys are worth every penny, i have an employee that brings several in his rig and we use emafew times a year, ``

Back