Auger for a mini

squisher

THE CALM ONE!!!!
I'm wondering if any of y'all on here have used a auger on a mini at all. I'm considering ordering this one here as it's a Canadian supplier and with the sharp nosedive our dollar has just taken it'll be my most reasonable option I'm sure. Any thoughts on the auger size?

This link is for one of the dealers but the actual equipment manufacturer is in Canada as well.

http://www.ramrodequipment.com/Attachments/Post Hole Auger.htm

drill holes duh:D think carl had one once. they pop up on ebay for reasonable

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
e-bay in Canada?:D

I basically want it to plant some trees, bigger is better I'm thinking for the auger size? But I'm wondering if my machine a ramrod 950 is gonna be able to handle the larger sizes of augers they have on that page. And what the difference between the standard and treeplanting one are too. I'm firing off an e-mail to the guy I've dealt with at ramrod to get some info. But the dude there is no tree guy for sure so I'm asking here too.

I never ran one on a mini,never ran a mini period .I have used them on regular skid loaders though and they work great .

It takes a little practice to get the hole straight though but you'll get the hang of it I'm sure .

I had a 10 and 36" bit for mine, DTW has mine now, probably still on the pallet.

The tree bits are normally pointed on the end, which is kinda stupid considering we want a flat bottom.

We don't have much in the way of rock here, but I drilled a dozen or so 3'x6' holes with mine, no problem.

Anknee other questions?

A point, sure. I guess I meant to say a cone shaped auger.

My 36" had a 3-4" tip that stuck out of the center. Most tree bits have that and the bottom few flights are progressively smaller in diameter.

Ooh ,the problem with a tapered auger is the fact they tend to act like a wood screw .

For example on the line trucks if those replacable cutting edges got dull those darned things would suck down so hard that you would have to reverse the auger to get them out of the hole .This became a pain in the behind at times .

I suppose this would not be a problem for planting trees .It was however on a 6 foot six inch deep hole to plant a pole .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So I wonder why they make the tree augers like that then? Better off to steer clear of them?

That's the conclusion Dave and I came to. I never plated a tree with mine I don't believe, only dug deep assed holes best I remember.

Here's a vid of a 2' (or so)x3' hole:
<a href='http://media.putfile.com/Auger-Vid'>Click here to watch 'Auger-Vid'</a>

I borrowed a 24" ,three point set up from my buddies dad who owned an apple archard .He used it to plant apple trees on the back of a Massey 35 which had a live power take off ,but he only went maybe 18" deep .

It wasn't worth a hoot trying to dig 5 foot deep holes .That darned thing would do just what I said ,screw it's self in tighter than a bulls arse at fly time . The only way I had to get it out was unhook the pto and turn it backwards with a 36" pipe wrench .Not a good plan .

Don't know how the mini handles them, but I've planted thousands of trees with a 36" on a full sized skid steer. The bit did not have much taper, just the screw bit to get it started. We used it both in the nursery, and on some jobs where we were planting lot's of small b&b stuff.

I rented an auger for my 526 DX
We dug about 150 one foot to three foot dia holes all about 4 feet deep in two hard ass working days.
It was brutal.

No this was brutal work.
There were rocks of all sorts and pipes .
It was where the old city rec. hall used to be.
Imagine standing on the mini for ten straight hours sucking fumes in the july sun ripping back and forth up and down breaking shear pins every few holes.
It sucked .
We should have used a T300 with an auger on it.

I don't know what a T300 is .If it's one of those portable augers with a chainsaw like engine on it ,they aren't the answer either . The auger gets stuck on a rock then you around instead of the auger .

I used to run one. It was a nice machine, but it went berserk, chewed up a trailer and fell off the side. Ain't electronics great?

I don't know what would make one go postal unless it has a fiberoptic controller or something .

Well,I don't trust them if that be the case .I've seen way too many "fly by wire " machine tools go nutsy ,especially robotic loaders .

The only reason they ever went to micro processor controls is the fact they are less expensive to make .They will continue the trend untill there are mass amounts of serious accidents with resultant law suits until they rectify this stuff . Just because they are supposed to be "fail safe " does not mean they are .Operator beware .

Back