ATV Forwarding Trailer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is from Estonia, likeable fella. The loader alone is ~$4500, the fixed length trailer without 4wd is $1650, and the power pack is exensive in comparision to US prices. The loader reaches just under 12' and can lift 940lbs if I understand him correctly. Haven't heard how much it weighs yet, but that's damn impressive.

801a1086.jpg

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FK0Is9OWbS0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Just my 02 again but moving the motor seems a PITA. also from the video I would be not so impressed with the swivel for the whole boom so low, Looks out of whack geometry wise. But I'll give you :thumbup: on doing your research Carl!

Same dude in all 3. Good sized nugget in the first part of the first vid. Best I can tell the second video is him unloading the first video's load. At least their's a similar sized big nugget on the bottom of the second vid's load.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qV7Uc7oj5GA" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4HQMJwl_WrQ" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vqLbMGf0q4Y" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

devils advocate, couldn't find that pic of you, your mini, and that big poker chip almost falling off your trailer ramp.
How will your AtoyVclam trailer deal with those chunkies?

Its a cool mini rig idea for sure, looks great for pulp sticks.

8)8) I am probably lie-ing on the 540 AC 8)8)

devils advocate, couldn't find that pic of you, your mini, and that big poker chip almost falling off your trailer ramp.
How will your AtoyVclam trailer deal with those chunkies?

Its a cool mini rig idea for sure, looks great for pulp sticks.

8)8) I am probably lie-ing on the 540 AC 8)8)

Nuggets like these?
2010-11-22093015-1.jpg

DSC05656.jpg

DSC05657.jpg

If you're asking about the loader, I think it would just pick those nuggets up and be done with it. Most of the loaders in this thread are stronger at max reach (9.5-11.7') than the Thomas is with pallet forks. If you're asking how to carry them on the trailer... well I haven't figured that out yet. One thought is to build my own trailer making it better suited for residential tree work. Another thought is to make a dump bed for an existing trailer to pile chunks/brush/logs/whatever on. Either way, I assume it could be figured out.

Same dude in all 3. Good sized nugget in the first part of the first vid. Best I can tell the second video is him unloading the first video's load. At least their's a similar sized big nugget on the bottom of the second vid's load.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qV7Uc7oj5GA" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4HQMJwl_WrQ" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vqLbMGf0q4Y" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Here's the info on that loader, a Farma 3,8D:

http://www.forsmw.com/1/en/cranes/c3,8-50.238.2.php

660lbs at 12.4', 3388lbs at 1m. It could reach over the side of my gooseneck at a radius of 4.5-11.25'.

Yeah that's the pictures:lol::lol: The grapple did not look like it opened enough big enough to hold on to your nuggets. .... Ooooh that didn't sound right:|:

With all your design capabilities Carl I'm shocked that you have not made a removable full ramp or half yet so what happens in the picture;) doesn't!

not to derail, just offering solutions to your wet yard problem. Have you considered arches towed by either your mini or quad?

Yeah, too much work.:lol: I rarely drag a limb now, would hate to go back to that. I figure the log loader can do most anything the mini can, and hopefully a whole lot more.

I wanted to see how well the quad could tow a trailer, so I used a friends little 5x10' trailer along with my mini skid. That's only about 2100lbs (~3050 gross), but it did exceptionally well I thought. I took it over most reasonable parts of my property and it never had a hard time and the damage was as expected (minimal). These were places where the mini couldn't go period because it would get stuck in a big way and were well worse than most yards get (standing water for example). I went across a couple small ditches with no issue, don't think I ever spun a tire. When I unloaded the mini I'll be damned if I wasn't nearly stuck on the wet clay. :lol: Had to back up and try again twice.

The four wheeler had way more power than traction still. It was nice that the added tongue weight didn't remove much weight from the front axle due to how close the ball is to the rear axle's centerline. Coming down the hill across from my house on the county road, there was enough engine braking to keep my speed quite reasonable (24mph). Based on today's results I don't think that I'll be disappointed using the four wheeler to tow with, the biggest thing I was worried about was not having enough traction to properly motivate the load.

a6e404f3.jpg

I used to tow my 4X8 trailer with a load of wood pretty regular. I doubt near the weight you had there. But I did not have as much quad as you have either. You can always throw a little weight on the rack up front if you need more front traction anyway. Things are a handy tool in my book. Good yarding tool too.

Yeah, I've thought about putting the power pack on the front rack, that'd move 100-175lbs to the front and off the trailer.

Yeah, it came with a 3klb Warn. Used it to pull over a couple trees and once to get me unstuck when I got high centered on some logs.

I'd have trailer brakes for sure. Stopping 3-4klbs with a 1k quad wouldn't be ideal in off road conditions. Scary getting pushed/pulled down a hill without being able to control it.

Depends on the type/style and the tractive system it would use. If it was electric brakes I could wire it in to the brake light on the four wheeler no problem.

I'm playing with the idea of building it myself; it would be a nice achievement.

Declutching hydro wheel motors would run $1k per; I'm waiting to see if they can be fitted with a cable activated brake. Declutching would allow the wheels to turn up to 1k rpms (77mph on a 26" tire) without damage/wear to the motor itself. The wheel motors I spec'ed are 121cc, 4gpm @ 3ksi would be 330ftlbs of torque at 85rpm (6.5mph on a 26" tire:5.3hp/4kw). Up to 12gpm continuous, 16gpm intermittently, and up to 3.5ksi intermittently. 4 wheel motors could carry 4klbs up a theoretical 23% grade, fwiw.

It's possible I could run wheel motors on one axle and electric brakes on the other, connecting them with a chain. Cable activated brakes are good for parking but I bet they'd suck otherwise. The problem with running a cage style drive system (the wheel that comes down between the tires and powers them) is that if I run turf tires they wouldn't have much to grip on. It seems they are most effective when they can positively engage the tread of the tire.

Another thought, and certainly the easiest and cheapest, would be to build the trailer using regular trailer axles and see how it works. It might turn out that I could get by without a 4wd trailer after all. It would also cut alot of fabrication time out as well as smooth out some other design areas.

If you go hydro drive on the trailer, brakes may not even be needed. Think of it in terms with the Thomas, you accelerate, it flows, you stop, it doesn't flow and will hold fast as long as there is hydro pressure to hold it stopped.
Just another view point.

That doesn't work with declutching motors. I don't want to limit my top speed to how fast the motors can turn under power.

Back