ascenders----

• Thread starter olyman
  • Start date
  • Replies 41
  • Views 5K
I use a Gibbs in conjunction with a steel core but after my 3rd steel core has wore out I will be flipping with rope soon. For climbing the ropes I use a 2 wrap prussic knot. The petzl shunt replaced the prussic knot a few years ago, Or should I say its a mechanical version of what a knot will do. I believe the gibbs will cut a rope into at 2000 lbs pressure but dont quote me on that.200 lb man falls 10 feet =2000lbs? I believe the rope grabbing teeth doesnt cause enough damage to worry about. However if one was employed into a safety and was constantly adjusted for tree size day in and day out the teeth would considerably wear a rope in the same spot. I don't think ascenders were manufactured for this purpose (IE for use as a safety).
For climbs over 80 feet, mechanical rope grab devices are to efficient not to use.But I'm hard headed and somewhat oldschool probably wont ever buy them.

That's a sweet beech tree OTG!! I love climbing beeches. The woods at home back in Maryland is full of them.

The toothed cam ascenders work on an entirely different principle than the ribbed cam ones do. On toothed ascenders, the load is connected to the frame. They rely on the teeth to keep the cam in contact with the rope. These are best for climbing rope as in the SRT and should not be used to adjust a lanyard. On ribbed cam ascenders (like the Gibbs) the load is attached to the cam instead of the frame. This is a more reliable design because a falling twig that slides down your rope can't knock out the cam, but they don't make them with handles. Ribbed cam ascenders can be used to climb rope with, but they work better as flipline adjusters.

The teeth will not damage your rope unless (1) you take a shock-loaded fall on it (in which case it could cut your rope like a pair of scissors) or (2) you try to remove it from the rope while sliding it down at the same time.

The teeth will not damage your rope unless (1) you take a shock-loaded fall on it (in which case it could cut your rope like a pair of scissors)

Under failure tests the toothed cams grab the outer cover, not penetrating into the core of the rope.
Either way, the rope is compromised so it is always a good idea to have a back up system.

Rope rescue mandates a two rope system but we as tree climbers should have two separate systems in tandem on the ascent line.

Geez, I can only imagine what it must be like to climb in something besides a doug fir, western red cedar, or western hemlock. I remember getting all excited once last year when I got into a big leaf maple. Those beech trees look like they were made for climbing in! I bet you can limb walk for 30 ft in one of those! I'm jealous.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
bounce--THANKS.!!! explains the diff in the ascenders--that helped me immensly to know what to buy.

And then there's these ascenders...

BDnForce.jpg

...that kinda make you think a little different about how an ascender should work...

love
nick

ok, Nick. now explain them the way Bounce did--rem, greenhorn here.

uh,King of splices. Need a response. thanks

and--got a gibbs off of fleabay--another piece to climb trees safely--thanks all,oly

I like my Kong...

The Monkey Pod's in the tropics are a great climbing tree as well.

Back