The Tree House loves TreeStuff!

Anyone here know Wayne chippers?

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
I am looking for someone who knows Wayne/FMC chippers well to help me with an anvil problem i am having. I think my anvil setup was modified years ago by someone and is totally incorrect. I will take pics and show what is there now. I NEED someone who knows these machines.

squisher

THE CALM ONE!!!!
I have a olllllllllld wayne 12" machine with a straight six. I don't 'know' the machine that intimately other than it's very simple and I have the original owners manual. I'll help out if I can. I beleive J-bred knows a thing or three about these machines, maybe he'll pipe up.

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
I got Erik's attention. I think he knows drum chippers well. I had to go rummaging through the garbage at AS to find a manual for this chipper. I hate going there and in the process made a new enemy.

Stumper

Treehouser
Erik can steer you right on anvil set-up. I've run a Wayne but never set the anvil on one.

F

Frans

I know Wayne chippers. Can you post some pictures and also describe what exactly is the problem?

Most people don't know how to set the anvil correctly

N

Newfie

Just a version of a chuck-n-duck. Erik is the king of those.

N

NeTree

Ditto on the pouring.

Yep... I likes me dem chuck'n'ducks!

My knife/anvil settings, which anyone who'd ever fed mine would agree is the cat's butt:

Set the knife/knives for 3/16" above the surface of the drum; set the anvil to .015-.020" clearance from the knives.

Enjoy your excellent chip quality and smooth feeding.

:D

F

Frans

Ditto on the pouring.

Yep... I likes me dem chuck'n'ducks!

My knife/anvil settings, which anyone who'd ever fed mine would agree is the cat's butt:

Set the knife/knives for 3/16" above the surface of the drum; set the anvil to .015-.020" clearance from the knives.

Enjoy your excellent chip quality and smooth feeding.

:D
Sounds right to me. Unless you sometimes chip gravel/muddy brush etc. then you might want to make that gap a schootch larger

if your knives were sharpened incorrectly then you will have problems feeding it. The anvil also needs to be straight and true.

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
My problem is not related to the knives or feeding problems.....It's a matter of replacing the worn anvil with one I ordered from baileys. The new anvil is NOTHING like what is in there now and I dont know if the existing anvil set up is correct or fabricated by a past owner. I got a manual coming to me from Zenith cutter but in the mean time i will post pics tomorrow of what is there now and what i have to replace it with and hopefully someone can explain to me the situation.

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
it matches the description and dimensions in the catalog.........but still, maybe its wrong in general? I'll be on it today

F

Frans

Whats the optimum knife angle?
I don't know the exact angle. But I have had knives returned to me that have had the flat side changed. The flat side should be flat

Stumper

Treehouser
The flat side should be flat
Yippy skippy. The angle of the bevel can be altered to make for easier cutting or greater duarability. I can be a compound grind to facilitate both goals.... but breaking the flat interferes with feeding and smooth cut off as the knife passes the anvil

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
Looking at where the anvil was. Those bolt holes are where the anvil bolts in.

This is the anvil that was in there. You can see by the bolt holes it doesnt have any adjustment. The anvil came out just as I am holding it, except flat against the machine.

The old anvil next to the replacement anvil. Several companies sell the same replacement part according to everyone's dimensions. The bolt holes on the new anvil do not line up with the holes on the machine.

What should be there? none of the above, or is something missing?

Stumper

Treehouser
Tucker, I think you are messing with the wrong part. Are you certain that the anvil is not the replacement for the part that is still bolted in the first pic? I think your other gizmo is a stop for the anvil with its elongated (adjustable) holes.

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
There is no other part to be removed. The area that has bolt holes on the chipper is a solid unit. Like one long feed table. The piece you see bolted in the 1st pic is a plate that butts up to the anvil AFTER the cutting has happened.

Stumper

Treehouser
Well... I wish I could see it in person. Maybe a pic from slightly further away would help in seeing the interrelationship of parts.......I really think that what you have removed is part of the anvil retention system but not the anvil itself.

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
I dont mean to sound like a jerk so i hope i dont come off that way. I'm looking for someone who knows EXACTLY what should be there and how it should be.

N

NeTree

That's not the right replacement anvil; that looks like the newer versions of the machine I've run into.

You have a much older style. If your numbers aren't matching up, someone did some mickey-mousing somewhere along the line.

You could grind the original to true the edge up.

The Tree House Loves TreeStuff!