Anyone have a link for air filters?

I don't have any good links for you Cory but we get all our filters at NAPA. Our mechanic set up an account and we get like 40% off most purchases. They can cross reference almost any filter you have. They must still make money off us because they sent a Christmas gift to the shop last week.
This thread reminds me that I just turned 800 hours on the mini. Time for service

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Remember, if ANY dust is on the secondary, toss them both...

Also, a primary with a little dust in it does a better job of cleaning the incoming charge than a completely clean filter.

Why toss them both, cuz not worth the risk of dirt getting thru the secondary?

I did know that about dirty filters filtering better. The word "charge", never heard that before. Is that an air related word?

Rich I tried napa, they couldn't come up with anything over the phone, said bring it in.

Dirt on the secondary means that the primary has got a hole in it and must be tossed.

Usually a secondary is not nearly as robust as the primary, and can break down over time. Lots of things can ruin a filter. Media cuts from abuse, blowing out, and just vibration. Glue on the ends can get hard and break. We never blow out a secondary. An old secondary can fail when you dont want it too!

Just good practice to change them both when the primary needs changed. Extra safety margin.

Yeah, I guess "charge" would be a technician type of word.

Cory shoot man the eyeball test don't mean beans , we are talking about microns . Filters are cheap compared to motors and down time. If you have any reason to believe your filters are not optimal replace them! This is from a cheap SOB

Which BB do you have Cory? And what Jim said about the secondary is true. The secondary is a finer filter but is no where near as tough. If bigger particulates make it past the primary they will tear through the secondary and into the turbo. Next stop is the cylinders. It used to bother me changing the secondary because they always looked new. A friend of mine told me that they should look that way. They filter much finer and if they're dirty by sight they probably have holes in them.

More good info and recommendations, Jim et al.

If you have any reason to believe your filters are not optimal replace them! This is from a cheap SOB

PC, you sold me! I still think something is weird given the restricter indicator went off after 10 min of chipping sycamore, I've had chippers since 88 and never had one indicate a restriction. But Ill be a big spender and get both filters. Im usually into that whole 'its cheap insurance' thing.

Rich its a 1590 with 170 hp perkins.

I did not know that.

If the manometer filter gauge is popping, time to change both.

I find after about 3 blowouts with air is about the limit. The restriction just keeps building. Never have torn a filter with 100psi air cleaning.

Napa/auto parts stores have a silly high markup on filters think 3 to 5 times markup.

I also read its best to just replace both filters,not attempt to clean them. I can't remember why, but it wasn't blind faith in the internet. I usually do my research till I'm satisfied with a decision at which point I'm liable to forget..

I ended up buying a couple sets of Donaldson filters through www.ryderfleetproducts.com. They are a good source for a lot of truck/engine stuff. LED lights for the truck etc.

I can only find an egineaire filter to replace, doesn't seem to cross to other brands.

I have not heard of that brand. Very few companies make their own filter.

That was an interesting article.

BTW, Evan, we clean a primary several times before we change the pair.

For what its worth, our old Steigers would need the primary tapped out or blown out every other day. Otherwise they would smoke and the exhaust manifold would get dull red.

The big Steiger went 11,000 hours on its last overhaul.

My dealer says the outer filter is "12-E1" so I guess that means I need the inner and outer filter from the line marked EN12-13630 from this chart:

http://www.enginaire.com/elements.htm

There are no numbers marked on the elements that I can see.

Did you look at that link, other sizes had #s for other manufacturers like Donaldson etc, but only Engineaire for that size.

Yeah, I did see that. Hard to believe that they are the only ones that make that filter. Thats enough to piss a guy off. I tried to cross it but couldn't find anything.

I suppose they are pretty expensive too. Dealer has you by the short and curlies yeah?

Hey Jimbo, while you have your immense mechanical aptitude briefly focused on this issue, maybe I could run another by you- I have a 96 chevy 3500 4wd utility body dual wheel pick up truck, the tail lights it has are 3 per side, 4" square lenses, 1 reverse/1 turn/1 tail-brake. One side tail-brake went out, the bulb was good but was melted into its socket so something was bad in there. No replacement sockets available apparently and since the 3-light units are expensive I decided to replace them with LED single unit turn/tail/brake/reverse. My buddy tried to install the new for old tonite and we had issues. Mainly that there are 7 wires coming out of the old unit and 4 in the old unit. You have any particular insight on the right path to take re this conversion? Thanks!

Yeah they do, as usual, lol.

I can try to post some pics re the lights if that helps.

Back