Any interest in the new Stihl MS150

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The 150 that I had coming has been delayed.......

:cry:

Another 150 deal in the works though. I was really wanting to see this thing undressed........soon I hope.

Randy, speaking about proper oil mix, wouldn't the color of the plug give you a sufficient indication if the amount of oil is adequate? Say if running 50:1 in a mod, and the electrode is the nice brown color and not looking whitish, would you still say that it is risky? I can get that color with my heavily modded saws at 50:1, and with the H setting at what i think is the sweet spot. Perhaps I give undue importance to the plug, and have a false sense of security? I guess the plug color is a reflection of the heat range within the cylinder combustion area, aside from oil content?

Plug color is more an indication of fuel to air ratio than oil. I like 32:1 for a couple of reasons. One, better ring seal, this makes more power. Two, bearing lube....bearing lube.....bearing lube......

With all due respect, I wonder if perhaps you may disallowing that aspect a bit too quickly, about plug color or electrode disintegration and fuel mix ratios. Unless i was getting erroneous information, my readings inform that oil mix also effects the fuel to air ratio, because greater or lesser amounts of oil also changes the amount of gas coming through the jet(s). More oil means less gas, and a leaner mixture going into the cylinder, at least to a certain extent. It occurs that although you may be getting better friction protection with the increased oil, you might also be getting hotter temperatures at combustion. You see the topic of mix ratios and jetting being discussed at bike and flight forums, but I can't say that I have seen it much discussed regarding chainsaws. Would there be something different going on? Confusingly interesting.....

With all due respect, I wonder if perhaps you may disallowing that aspect a bit too quickly, about plug color or electrode disintegration and fuel mix ratios. Unless i was getting erroneous information, my readings inform that oil mix also effects the fuel to air ratio, because greater or lesser amounts of oil also changes the amount of gas coming through the jet(s). More oil means less gas, and a leaner mixture going into the cylinder, at least to a certain extent. It occurs that although you may be getting better friction protection with the increased oil, you might also be getting hotter temperatures at combustion. You see the topic of mix ratios and jetting being discussed at bike and flight forums, but I can't say that I have seen it much discussed regarding chainsaws. Would there be something different going on? Confusingly interesting.....

And in all honesty these things are not something I've studied throughly....I wish I had more time for this.

I run my engines pretty rich......in terms of air/fuel ratio. I'm of the opinion (I'm not able to quote any research papers or anything here) that a rich intake charge in a working engine will help cool the piston and combustion chamber. Is that optimum for maximum power output? I can't say for sure.

I build engines strictly for work though. I also add compression. On every engine I build I look for ways to increase compression. This extra compression adds more stress to the rotating assembly, and that's the main reason I started looking at 32:1 in the first place.

When I first began the hunt for the "best oil" I found this article.......

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/articles/oil_test/

As of today, I am done switching oils and ratios.......I will keep running H1R at 32:1.

Randy, sounds like it should be on it's way.

Weighs 5.56lbs according to the dealer. Second one in two weeks I've bought and they run surprisingly well for 23cc! Use a magnifying glass to see the chain for sharpening as this 1/4" chain is little bitty. This one's going to Randy for a make-over (read, knob polishing) and then somewhere to parts unknown.

Was at the dealer today. Held the 150. For light pruning, and end-weight reduction, without a need for a longer bar to reach into places, I can see the saw having use. So very light.

Well I personally like cranking out power from a little saw .Not many people are really into it but to me it's a fun activity .How practical it might be is another subject .

I'll tell you what got me started .It was at a GTG when Gypo and Big Dave had little fast saws that everybody ran trying to get the best times .Those itty little things were like Jack Russel terriers or bumble bees on steroids .:D

If you get a burnt looking surface, your saw ain't sharp!

Yup - your diagnosis is dead right. Thanks. I deleted my post after running the 150 some more today - it really is dull! I deleted the post 'cause I didn't want to dis' this nice little saw. Sorry for any confusion.

Now that the MS150 is finally here, I'll get some pics up. When I'm finished playing with the saw I'll sell it......to one of our beloved Treehousers. If anyone wants it.

It was donated by weedeaterman.com for us to bring here and share with you guys.

Back