Animated GIF Thread 2019

If you approach the back-strap a 24" bar tip will extend to the far side of the strap, and protrude out, establishing the far side.
If you really want one kerf pull your saw and reinsert, establish hinge and back strap, and release.

2 kerfs work.

I'm a short bar preacher, but honestly, a 24" would have been somewhat out of it's league on that tree.

That was the one that made me do a 3 hour drive home and back, to get the 088, since there were plenty others of the same size waiting.

P1060323.JPG P1060325.JPG P1060334.JPG

Those were the last dinosaurs.
Ash is gone here, killed by a fungus.
We'll never see those again.
That was in 2018 when we logged for 7 weeks on the island Møn in 90+ degrees.
I realize that for a lot of the folks here, 90+ degrees is a walk in the park, but for scandinavians, it is HOT, especially when doing 10 hour days.
Hardest job I've ever done.

We cut 3600 cubic meters of trees like this:

P1060341.JPG P1060344.JPG P1060396.JPG P1060401.JPG P1060401.JPG P1060396.JPG P1060344.JPG P1060413.JPG P1060415.JPG P1060415.JPG P1060418.JPG

Yep.
He knew it was going to come after him, so once he'd triggered it, he just " got the hell out of Dodge"

While carrying an 088.

He is one of the best I've taught the trade to.
Alas, he was the one who got rear ended by a German on our company motorcycle trip to Norway.
He'll never log again.
At least he has been able to get into the forester education and my guy who recently got his dream job as forester of Jægerspris skovdistrikt, has taken him in for the practical part of the study.
He has also bought a motorcycle and started riding again ( A Honda Transalp, after getting on my case for years, because I ride, what to him was a " Grandfather bike").

He comes out to help us on jobs. Can't do anything heavy, but on that Linden alley job at Frydenholm slot where we topped 90 trees, having someone to set lines for ascending and pulling was a great help.

Is this the animated GIF thread?

daily_gifdump_3318_20.gif

I meant to look into doing that on my machine. My first spruce removal, I setup my phone to take a picture every 30sec, so it created a kind of stop motion video if you scrolled through them fast. I'd like to automate that, but I want to do it on my machine with my software. Maybe I'll try it if I get bored this weekend.

I don't know what software. That's something I'd have to look up. The machine is a debian based dell.

edit:
I haven't looked yet, but I suspect imagemagick in the terminal would be the way to go about it.

Last edited:
Got it...

spruce2.gif

My first trip down the tree was when my saw unhooked from my saddle, and pitoned below; no damage. I saw that was gonna be a problem, but didn't fix it. It's fixed now. Here's a bonus picture of my thumb...

IMG-20181105-063242.jpg

I couldn't even tell you exactly what happened, but something close is I was wedging the tree over, and somehow the short maul I was using slipped off the top of the wedge, and my thumb got caught between a short stub(I know Butch...) and the maul handle O.O Took about 6 months to get better...

Back