Ammo Question "Buffalo Bore" Ammo

About all I know about anything with buffalo in it was heavy muzzleloader slugs .They made a solid lead 380 grain for a 58 cal which normally shot a 540 grain hollow based maxi ball .The solid lead would penetrate deeper that the maxi .Problem being the buffalo are all gone now .

No Al, there are lots more than at one time. Legal hunting seasons some places, I think. Admittedly, not like they used to be historically.

LL. Bean is or recently was selling shoes made from Buffalo hide, so there are a few about. Like Burnham says, it is doubtful that they will ever bring thunder again when running across the plains.

Ive shot it out of a .357 I believe, once. Slow and heavy. Lots of knockdown. Cant remember hoe accurate is was out of my old 686.

It will be fine Gary.

I used to have a box of it for my 629 in 44mag.It was considered the best off the shelf round for Bear Defence.These were hard-cast lead projectiles of about 300grns if I remember rightly.Never shot a Bear with it.

I have been wanting some for my 45-70... Probably take out and engine block.... :D

A 45-70 has an arc like a morter shell . If I recall correctly the old gov. round was 405 grain bullit weight .

I think that round came about some time after the cival war and I'm not certain if it was actually used on buffalo guns .Those old hand cannons like the Quiggley down under rifle were 50-95 ,50-110 and 50-31/2 .No doubt they could drop a buffalo though if they were close enough .

They'd have to be some tough fences to turn a buffalo .

There was an eccentric millionaire locally that had a small herd of buffalo .The pasture field where they roamed was around ten acres .The fence post were every 8 feet ,railroad ties ,with number 9 wire fence ,three strands of heavy electrified barb over the top and they still got out every so often .

In addition those those damned buffalo he had a collection of old steam engines ,cars and the only totally restored 1953 Corvette I'd ever seen .

Millions and millions but when the old folks died the heirs had to sell stuff just to pay the estate taxes .They had blown the entire fortune when the old man failed in old age .Isn't that something .

I've eaten buffalo roast years ago .It was tasty as I recall .

If I recall correctly although buffalo is a bovine the meat is more healthy than beef because it lacks the marbling of fat .In addition buffalo can thrive on forage that cattle would starve on .

They've cross bred them with beef cattle which produces a hybred like a mule .How effective that was I never really heard excepting they produced a hardy animal that could forage on it's own and didn't need the grain they feed to cattle .I Think it took about twice as long to fatten one up ,maybe two years to produce a good meat animal .

I'd imagine though if they were grown on open range like eastern Colorado you'd about need one of those buffalo guns to get one .Highly unlikely they'd be docile .

Which is probabley why those old buffalo hunters shot them up from a quarter mile away .I can't imagine trying to out run a 2000 pound buffalo that was pizzed .Feet don't fail me now .:\:

No Al, there are lots more than at one time. Legal hunting seasons some places, I think. Admittedly, not like they used to be historically.

Isn't Ted Turner, TBS, or some other rich, rich dude ranching buffalo up in the northern plains states?

IIRC, for some reason, buffalo are being, or have to be raised organically.

Leaner than beef.

http://youtu.be/iJ4T9CQA0UM Funny.

Derail over.

Well my conclusion with the original post is that by naming the ammunition as "buffalo "was to imply deep penetration .

Now weather somebody would be fool hardy enough to try and shoot such a massive animal with a pistol remains to be seen .I certainly would not .Some dumb not plumb dumb .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It will be fine Gary.

I used to have a box of it for my 629 in 44mag.It was considered the best off the shelf round for Bear Defence.These were hard-cast lead projectiles of about 300grns if I remember rightly.Never shot a Bear with it.

Awesome! That is what I was thinking of using it for. The Cascade Mountains has a crap ton of bears in them. We see Black Bears almost everytime we hit the woods now. I have a .44 Magnum with an 8" barrel as well (Nickle plated S&W Model 19), but like the ease of carry in my 686 with the 4" barrel. Thanks mang!

Gary

Still enjoying your wheel guns Gary?

There is a large farm about 40 miles from us that have a large buffalo Herd. Always look 'interesting' in the pastoral Welsh countryside :)

:D I'll bet. There's a small herd we pass on our way over to the coast...5 or 6 animals. Out of place for sure in the Cascade foothills. Fun to see, though.

That herd I mention was probabely less than a dozen .Some were pretty large .

The old coot that owned them had a full time staff that was kind of paid somewhat under the table .The land was posted no hunting,no trespassing .If someone as much as crossed a fence they knew it .

We used to hunt red fox and the sly old fox knew we wouldn't send the dogs passed those fences .They'd just get within two hundred feet of the herd and lay down and probabley laugh at us .The buffalo could care less they certainly have no fear of a 30 pound fox .The Walker fox hounds knew what they were and didn't want a thing to do with the big hairy beasts .