Amazing Exploding Redwood

gf beranek

Old Schooler
During the hike back to the car on the Howland Hill Road Terri and I happened across this lightening strike.

I've seen lots of lightening struck redwoods over the years, but never one that had so completely splintered up into kindling. A pile nearly 200 feet long.

Attachments

• kindling 1r.jpg
    kindling 1r.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 102
  • kindling 2r.jpg
    kindling 2r.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 102
  • kindling 3r.jpg
    kindling 3r.jpg
    728.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very true. I was thinking the same thing. Wouldn't that be something.

It appears the tree was instantly transformed into what you see, and then half-ass collapsed and laid out.

Good heavens :O

I've seen trees blown to kingdom come but never that large or that dramatic .

What blows a tree apart on a lightning stike is the fact that the moisture is instantly converted to steam .The pressure on that one must have been tremendous .Never underestimate the power of mother nature.

An incredible sight...blown into every direction would be impressive enough...to be laid out like that is something I would have never imagined...thanks for the picture.

im gonna have to start making a little time for some of this. been meaning to climb the state champ white pine for years now:dur:

thank goodness for the botanical nomenclature...:)

and really cool find Gerry, thanks for posting the pics! Didja take at least a piece of it home for kindling?

Imagine the surprise of the critters in and around that tree!!! :O:O

Don't need to be climbing with any electrical activity around, for sure.

I imagine the remains of that big old demolished tree is full of vermon . I don't however know of anything that digests the stuff .It was used here for years for sofit boards ,trim etc on homes ,picnic tables etc as nothing ate it and it resisted rot for decades . It seemed to hold paint a tad better than western red cedar .

hard to fathom that kind of power in an less than a second. i've never seen anything like that. thanks for the pic

Wow! That's really wild! At first I thought you had taken a picture of the edging pile next to our sawmill. It doesn't look like there is anything any bigger than that in that mess.:O

Dave

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had a hard time believing what was there until I walked around and put the puzzle together. It astonished me. And what a grand finale after the hike through the Boys Scouts Grove. Whew!

Back