Altec rotation gearbox

Husabud

TreeHouser
I just bought an older Altec LB 650. The price was right, but it needs a shit ton more work than I thought. Especially this gearbox that lists at $6,000. Any thoughts ?

The rotational gearbox is pricey along with the bearing. Can't remember what the exact amount was but we put about 20 grand into one of our high Rangers. That was with replacing all the lines and a bunch of other things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's a 91, if I could get a rebuild kit I would. Altec wants $5917 for the gearbox and $563 for the motor. After the inspection last Wed, I'm looking at 18G in parts alone for an $18,000 truck. I could have got more reach on a newer chassis for 36G.

What's up with the gearbox that's in it? I replaced one on my versalift but it was I think $2800US? But when I needed to it was because it spit out the gears one day and was destroyed. Also the rotation motor went but that was at a separate time.

I was told by the inspector from Altec it has too much play. They allow 1/2" from center when pressure is put on the knuckle. Mine has about 5". After a closer look today, I believe it only needs to be tightened to the bull gear. Just too much play.

1/2" required and 5" actual seems like more than might easily be taken out by adjustment? But if it can be adjusted, adjust it for certain. Are the teeth of the gears worn? Cracked? The rotation motor should just be a hydro motor that powers the gear box, as long as it does its thing and doesn't leak I don't see why else it'd need replacing?

I don't need the motor, I may need a gearbox. I'm skeptical about the adjustment myself, but first things first. It rotates 360 smoothly both ways, but tends to bounce when you stop.

Back