All time favorite saw

Oh that SOB ,stump and 660 .I could not get that saw started fer luv ner money .So cut the buttress roots with an 038 Av and the stump with the 038 Mag and a 32".Got about half way through it then blew the muffler off the mag--beer thirty ,pizz on it ,tomorrow is another day .That danged thing is a tad over 5 foot even with the roots cut off .

I stipulate in my bids an alap cut without cutting dirt. And I do just that I get them as low as possible without abusing my saws.

Squish...... just go down to Princess Auto and pick up a poulan for 80 bucks, thats what i did and use it on the really dirty stumps and if a groundie piss'n ya off guess what thats his saw fer the day!!! :lol:

ALAP. Ha. I always leave a legal stump. If a homeowner or a salesman or a homeowner wants it lower they better get a stumpgrinder.

Precisely!

Since we offer grinding, if they don't want that, I don't go too low when ALAPing.

They get tired of lookinh at the stump, they are free to call to have it removed.

I'll give ALAP as another paid service. I'm going to ALAP before grinding anyway. I would rather make the extra on the ALAP with the gear on site, and not need another truck and trailer and driver and dust, and grinding debris. I'd rather be onto the next job.

For me, not having a dedicated SG trailer means having to load and secure for the trip there, then load and secure for the drive home, only to unload it again at home. I need to get a ramp gate put on my trailer rather than the ramps that I use. Too much hassle.

If I can get the extra $50 or whatever to cut it, and sharpen th.e chain. I'm personally happy.

I want to sell my grinder and buy a Wraptor, but that's just me and my situation.

If I had a bigger (more expensive grinder) and did more removals, and had better access for a bigger machine, I'd maybe be more into pulverizing stumps. Until that point, I've got to get my starter rebuilt on my grinder and get it ready for sale. Takes up too much space in my shop, too.

Favorite....

Favorite to use are certainly 046/460's. I can run them all day with plenty of snort to run long bars even. I cut wood all day yesterday with the one I keep away from my crew and a 28". Only thing I dislike about a bar that short is bending over to cut the little stuff

Attachments

• 89119-WilleandJerry.jpg
    89119-WilleandJerry.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 74
Willie, that is a great picture ... big saw, big tree, the big man himself ... something I'd cherish for life. Thanks for sharing that. ;)

attachment.php

Nice dog, too ... my wife says; "cute".

Just posting these pics here because I could see where this 036 pro could be some firewood cutters favorite saw. I just finished the rebuild and making a few test cuts set very rich I was impressed. Really like the 12.4lb PHO weight and 62cc grunt.

This is after rebuild and muffler mod pics. It was just barely starting and running when traded in. Cylinder cleaned up nice and I put a new meteor piston with their caber rings.

finished036002.jpg

finished036004.jpg

finished036001.jpg

finished036003.jpg

finished036005.jpg

finished036006.jpg

finished036007.jpg

I've been running an 038 magnum recently, but it fails to impress with anything longer than a 24" bar. Probably because it is still stock. The 034 with the modded 036 pac on it, I'm still loving that for the torque. If such an animal came with a manual, I think the severe kickback potential warnings would take up a couple of pages

I've been running an 038 magnum recently, but it fails to impress with anything longer than a 24" bar. Probably because it is still stock. The 034 with the modded 036 pac on it, I'm still loving that for the torque. If such an animal came with a manual, I think the severe kickback potential warnings would take up a couple of pages

Just wish they still made the 36 pro.... Really, I'm kinda getting fed up with Sthil saws... There are becoming bigger and bulkier with less power and cost more and more money.

My favorite saws are my modded 026, run 20" bars on them.

I've been running an 038 magnum recently, but it fails to impress with anything longer than a 24" bar. Probably because it is still stock.
With a little bit of a certain rednecks touch that thing will handle a 32" with great gusto .;)

That probabley is the easiest Stihl made to crank extra power out of .It's my favorite of the whole lot next to the 200T .

Back