All RopeKnight - All The Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup... got to play with it some more and you have a review coming. Never did get any video though. Hard pressed to get anyone around here to help me with that.
I am going to take some pictures once my fever goes down a bit. I was finally able to get accurate with it.

So... pros...
It does what is claimed. Runs through canopy (and I tried some tough canopy) like silk. I was actually a tad amazed at how well it would slide through and come to the ground. Then pulled back through. On our conifers, I usually have to throw no less than 16oz and often the 20 oz just to get the weight back. This obviously weighs less than the 20oz and came down, with out coaxing, each time.

I was also surprised, on the conifers, how the weight would roll down a branch back towards the bole. If you played it right, you could really run the limb, even with small sticks in the way. Back side of the tree of course. But hey, a good TIP in a conifer can be an irritating endeavour at times.

Height wise, I could cradle throw it to about 65 feet accurately with some practice. When I first started throwing the unit, I was hard pressed to get my release just right. Bad days tries? I dunno. Threw it with a fever till I got dizzy on Friday and hit my TIP over and over again in black oaks. Regular throw, surprisingly accurate considering how off I normally am with this style. Only to about 45 feet though. Still better than how I normally am with a regular weight. I can do better with a regular weight in height on a cradle throw. Might just take some more getting used to the devise. It does hang lower on the same amount of line between the weight and hand. Why (in my estimation) it takes time to get used to how and when it should be released. Different radii... If that makes any sense.

I don't know if I can get any more height out of it unless I go to a smaller line. I was using 2.2 Zing It... This is often my line of choice with our grey pines as it gets caught in the bark less. And if it does, I can really force it free if needed.

Now I did not get the foam with this to try near structures, so I did open field throwing.

Cons.....

Time of set up.
The fid I did not like. I thought it would save me time... it did not.. I was able to push the 2.2 Zing It into the devise with a twist just fine. You will see from my photos that this end was rather warn as well.
I tried the little loop that was in the kit and felt it could be done with out. Just more stuff to do.
Fact was, I did not bother with little biner things etc that were in the kit. I simplified and it worked better for me.
Instructions need to be better quality. Get a better printer or something. Blurry... Could be more explicit.
Loose screw... I work in the woods a lot. 6"-12" of duff would eat that screw and I would be unable to use the devise. Sell a back up or include one. No I did not lose this one.. Just saying.
Price would be a tad of a deterrent for me. I don't know that I would use the devise enough to justify it sitting in the truck. Often times I need a higher TIP than what this can be thrown at and the Big Shot often comes into play. To use the big shot with part of the devise is ok, but I would have to change to fishing line, then pull throw line, then climb line........ Fine if I need more than 100 feet... Silly if the TIP is often 75-85 and can be done with a regular throw weight, zing it and Big Shot.

The tool does have it's niche and I would consider it for some of our harder trees. Dense canopy, conifers and such. It really does behave well and is better than getting one stuck and having to go after it. I carry extra lines and extra weights just for that reason.... Bag would have got stuck several times in the stuff I threw this into and I got it back save for twice out of many throws. I probably could have, but I was not going to test the theory and have to go climb up to get it being sick.. :lol:
SO yes, I may end up owning one someday... Or something like it. I want to try that one European throw weight against it. See how it behaves.

Sorry no vids but I did have this little tid bit of photos for you....
Picture of the nasty mess I threw it at... One of them anyway...

IMG_0276.jpg IMG_0278.jpg

If you look close.. I walked the devise to this point on the limb from about 4 feet from the bole, along the limb...

Attachments

• IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 46
Actually, no... it's about as bad on new line as well... Just had not got around to cutting the fuzzy bits off. And when I test something, I like to incorporate other situations into the equation... Like fuzzy bits you would normally cut off... ;)

Now a little quick set up for cradle throw......
Set up line it unit..regular
View attachment 52554

Make a bight
View attachment 52555

Slip bight through the holes on the other end...
View attachment 52556

TADA!;)

View attachment 52559

Man, I ahve been at this thing since 2008 and you sir are the 1st to make this work
so intelligently:thumbright:. Your method will work well to secure the rope as well as a second ropeKnight.

You gotta put a name on it!:)
If I ahve vote, its your name that should be on it.
It will be on the new instructions I ahve to rewrite again.

Thanks so much for giving it a throw and the review. It really does mean alot to me and the family.

Man, I ahve been at this thing since 2008 and you sir are the 1st to make this work
so intelligently:thumbright:. Your method will work well to secure the rope as well as a second ropeKnight.

You gotta put a name on it!:)
If I ahve vote, its your name that should be on it.
It will be on the new instructions I ahve to rewrite again.

Thanks so much for giving it a throw and the review. It really does mean alot to me and the family.

Really don't need any credit with this. Thanks for the opportunity to give it a whirl. Always like to try something new or different.

Only thing I would do for the cradle throw on the devise mfg, taper the hole better and make it a smidgeon larger. Not too much that it would weaken the eye....

I drilled the holes and was worried that it was too big.
If you get a chance would mind drilling it out. I keep a bowl of ice
and dip the bit when it gets hot. Shouldn't have to worry since its a bit of a shave.
Will call it the Hillbilly throw, haven't tried it but Monday I ahve a monster Poplar
to top on Indian trail on the rare reserve. My biggest and ugliest job ever!

Btw that RK needs some war wounds someone kick the tihs out of it.

Bag made it through this time (a lot of times they don’t go down through our dense Redwood foliage.) Saw why when I went up the trees. These had been thinned a lot in years past.

If you were speaking to me Thomas, yeah I have the vinyl sleeve and foam. Have never taken them to work with me and given them a try. I’ll put them in the shotline gear bag and try them out.

Can’t wait to come back and read your “tips” post. (Short on time tonight.) I have been tying a 6 to 8 inch loop in the end of all my throwlines. Then I thread that doubled line through the nose of RopeKnight and then put a hitch (girth?) around a machine nut the same dia. and thread pattern as the RopeKnight bolt. Quick easy in and out.

I use the sleeves to add extra weight for TiP isolation once and awhile. No need to worry about snagging because they will slip right off the RK.
Your loop and nut trick is pretty sweet!:thumbup: It is going in the new instructions "The Merle". Thanks man!

Actually, no... it's about as bad on new line as well... Just had not got around to cutting the fuzzy bits off. And when I test something, I like to incorporate other situations into the equation... Like fuzzy bits you would normally cut off... ;)

Had the Shoo Goo handy and touched up my throwline. No more fuzzy and its got some decent stiffness to it for tying and inserting into the RK.
Here is what was easiest for me and cleanest.
Get a smooth piece of paper and drop a dime of goo or glue or silicon caulking(probabley the best) onto the paper
and pinch and rub and work the material into the line. No fuss, no muss!
Probabley work well at the finger pinch points for throwing to.
Oh yeah your technique is going in to "The HillBilly":beerchug:
Cheers

Last edited:
Nice review Stephen, many points that echo my own...and I really like the cradle throw arrangement you came up with. That is excellent, my friend.

It arrived today but the mail lady didn't leave it, put it to use this week father in law leaves tomorrow:D:D

Thorough buffing is in order:lol:

Attached is the the new instructions.pdf OK?
I will start arranging pics. Please, let me know if you
need any specific images.
Throwlining book is under way.
Cheers

Attachments

• RA Disclaim 2014REDO.pdf
    205.1 KB · Views: 12
Thomas I thought there was a way to change the weight of the Ra? Or so I was under the impression it could be changed. If so I'm not seeing it, in my opinion that should be a standard capability and by the design easy to make happen if it doesn't already. Still reading through the info and the updated pdf. instructions. I see it not getting stuck with how much it weighs, quite shocked at what it does weigh to be honest.

I have a few brass wts that fit nicely into the smaller cone and notched slightly to fit
the coupling bolt. Its easy enough to insert some 1/2"steel rod about almost 2 3/16".
Adds 2.5oz
And if you need more wt I found a heavy non leaded solder wire turned into the
SS tip hole and wound tightly around the RK about 12 wraps will add another 2oz and won't affect its performance much at all.

Stephen eluded that due to its optimal shape and form that a heavy weight may not be needed.

My personal experience is no added weight for high shot in a dirty tree and let it run to the ground and then add the weight for the TiP isolation.
In the dirtiest and highest of shots the throwline for me is the deciding factor and I almost always resort to super slick inexpensive poly line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back