All RopeKnight - All The Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bad..... I had it.

The first time I used it to set my line in a super thick Boxelder. From what I understand that is the situation where this should shine. I was not impressed. From what I saw, the RK had a ton wobble in it as it flew threw the air. I see potential with it but I probably won't be buying one for my company.

I give Thomas a lot of credit for bringing this to market. There are lots of products out there that aren't for me but they are still decent products for someone.

I am not impressed with the infomercial like marketing. To me that is very tacky. Secondly, I assume the info included with the RK that is being passed around is all original. If that's true, it is not very helpful and the over all quality of the printing is terrible. I know this doesn't affect the "actual" product, but it's all part of the package.

I will end on a positive note..... The RK is a very well made product. You can debate the usefulness or the design, but what he put out seems to be of a high quality construction.

Thanks for letting me try it out. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Eric, if you are thinking “a ton of wobble” affects accuracy you may be surprised. I once watched championship archery shooting clips in slow motion and was amazed at arrows coming off the string and wobbling back and forth what seems to be over a foot or more. Still hit the mark every time.

I guess you are right..... I hit the target so maybe it doesn't affect accuracy.

I have been using my big shot with an archery trigger and having amazing results with traditional throw bags. Today I was climbing in 5 Oaks and I never had to shoot more than twice. All of my TIPs were at 50 ft or above. That's really good results compared to me hand throwing.

Thanks EMR for giving it a throw.

Wobble is was it is. I experience it aswell and some times its more and other times its less. Throwing or BSing is the technique and doesn't lend itself to perfection with either bag or RK.
Sometimes a touchdown pass doesn't need to be a perfect spiral as long as it gets to the target.When it flies true is what really counts. The throwline always brings it true after several feet anyway.
A tail or fletchings would be cool but that would defeat the purpose of its remarkable ability for positioning the TIP and smoothing over the transition knots. BTW did you make you use of any of the other 5 tools?
I did my best at the time with the infO. My vocation is arboriculture and this RK is a side line we felt compelled to bring to market.
I am working on my tackiness but hopefully what comes across is things can be improved to the benefit of all.

The other day I stuck my RopeKnight for the first time in about a hundred shots. I was trying to put one of two lines high in a five foot dia. Euc.. (Crotch turned out to be 100 ft..) When I miss the RK pulls back through limbs so well that I just catch the line mid decent and gently and sometimes with a little finesse pull it back up and over the limbs to get to a quicker reset and next shot. Left that RK and throw line as were and used a second RK and throw line to place pull lines in the tree. When the tree was on the ground I found that it was through a couple of branches that you could only slide a sheet of paper through for a foot or so. Guess I might aught to let it run to the ground and pull the weight off before retrieving the line for next shot sometimes.

I didn't use any of the other tools. Honestly when I am working, I don't want to mess around with things unless I absolutely have to. As an example, I won't pull the winch out of the GRCS to replace it with the bollard. If there were separate tools ready to be used as is, I may have used them, but I won't pill things apart and reassemble them.

I hope you were not offended by the "tacky" comment. I was trying to give you honest feed back based off of my initial impressions. It's easy for me to criticize but I have never done anything like this.... Like I said, it's not for me but it will work wonders for others. Keep up the development keep improving on the product. Thanks for putting it out there for us to try.

I would say technically the line got stuck.:)
Do you have the brass wt?
What wt did you get? bored and taped or solid?
Special note, on soft bark trees like White Pine and Tilia the line can cut through right to the
wood and the line can jam up. Its happened to me.
I will let the RK drop to the ground and install a second. Tandem RK's work well for bumping, levering and dropping out of those tricky bits. I keep a small roll of heavy soldering wire aswell and wrap it around the Rk works fine if you only have one RK.
Thanks Merle

No for sure I understand we can't all be the same and all share the same opinions.
I'll work on the delivery but I believe the more people hear "smooth and easy" than at some point
they forget the hard and dangerous is actually smooth and easy.

Like my dad would always say if you keep it up your going to end up digging ditches and eventually I did
but if he had said work smarter not harder I wouldn't have waited till I was 25 to go to college.
I am happy for your words!:)

Cheers

EMR glad you never purchased a Wraptor or a HH because you would be horified at our pathetic attempt at packaging and instructions. I put a lot in to making the products but dont give 2 hoots about the packaging as long as it gets to you in good condition.

I look at New Tribe as a perfect example of a great product that has simple, cheap to produce, clear and concise instructions. They don't have to be fancy. Just easy to understand.

Anyone good at instructions and want to propose a labor/product trade to an inventor/innovator? I would think of that as one of the great opportunities from this forum...to come in contact with someone great at a skill that is needed but you are weak in.

Thomas, I do not have the brass weight though I would love to if you would like to sell one. Both units are bored, not sure what you mean by “taped”. Not sure of wt..

Understand your thoughts about bark cutting. This time it was just a very tight crotch and me being too lazy to let it run to the ground and take the RK off because I get away without doing that so much.

What would it take for you to write a booklet or spearhead a thread of advanced techniques on RopeKnight/throw weight usage Thomas? As a part of it you could gather together others advanced usage ideas. Might be a nice “instruction” addition.

I will try using the RK’s in tandem next problem crotch.

I don't give a toss about packaging and when I receive a fancy wrapped thing I get annoyed that a % of my money is going straight in the bin.

I want an excellent product wrapped in anything so that the postman doesn't damage it.

I agree about packaging.... To a point, however instructions are different. If you buy a product that needs explaining and the instructions are not clear about how to use it, then you will never use that product to its fullest capacity. I was the perfect example.... I'm sure the instructions showed all of the different configurations for the RK, but I couldn't read/follow/make sense out of them, so I used it as a throw weight and nothing more. As a result, I posted on a public forum that I was not impressed. Hopefully you can see why the information that is included with a product should be well thought out and properly made.

When I go out to sell my product (tree work), I have professionally made estimate sheets which allow me to clearly describe what I intend to do on that specific job. That might not be totally necessary, but it's all part of my "product" and it represents what I stand for.

IMO, it's that exact same thing if I would be selling a piece of climbing equipment. The instructions, and packaging, matter and reflect on the product. Right or wrong, but that's the was life is.

Of course, packaging and instructional materials are completely different...to a degree. And too much packaging is indeed a bane on the earth. However, I see EMR's point, and pretty much have to agree.

My Wraptor came boxed in the same cardboard container that the base Takata drill was shipped to Paul. Paul asked me directly about that, and I thought that was fine and said so, it's not only practcal, but sends the right kind of "green company" message that is so sought after these days. But I also advised that IMO he should look into acquiring a wide shipping tape, in orange and printed in black with a bold Wraptor logo and the name. He has to use a bunch of the stuff anyway, make it a "label". That would be enough to loudly proclaim that there's a Wraptor inside, and make that statement obvious to any observer.

Maybe Paul did...I have not seen another one arrive anywhere since :).

You can also go here for more info.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ropearmour?feature=results_main
https://www.facebook.com/pages/RopeArmour/113201298749998
You can ask questions here as well I am always around and willing to share what I know.
I think if you give the instructions another chance you may find that what doesn't make sense can be made
clear with the substitution of a word or other phrase that is to your liking or local.
Cheers
Btw RopeArmour is the only throw weight that actually comes with Cautions, Specific Instructions and Key points for utlilizing it successfully that in and of itself is quite exceptional and exemplifies my committment to ensure your success in throwlining.
The scales are fairly balanced in your favour for RK success.

That tape of which you speak Burnam was seen on the new Onyx saddle box we were all trying out until our Postal people got hold of it... Tore it all up. I had to repack it...

Anyone good at instructions and want to propose a labor/product trade to an inventor/innovator? I would think of that as one of the great opportunities from this forum...to come in contact with someone great at a skill that is needed but you are weak in.

Thomas, I do not have the brass weight though I would love to if you would like to sell one. Both units are bored, not sure what you mean by “taped”. Not sure of wt..

Understand your thoughts about bark cutting. This time it was just a very tight crotch and me being too lazy to let it run to the ground and take the RK off because I get away without doing that so much.

What would it take for you to write a booklet or spearhead a thread of advanced techniques on RopeKnight/throw weight usage Thomas? As a part of it you could gather together others advanced usage ideas. Might be a nice “instruction” addition.

I will try using the RK’s in tandem next problem crotch.

I am redoing the instructions>
A few SS wts are bored and tapped to accept the spare bolt or add wt or add a an eyebolt.
The eye bolt was a thought to place the traditional ring in the interior of the RK so the line can be inserted
the body and then tied off to said eye bolt. We only produced a small number because the added machining costs was
easily replaced by just tieing off to a micro clip or the like.

I am trying to put together a whole new package/kits based on feedback. Hopefully for Christmas you will see something.
A training booklet is a great idea.
Not alot of time between my bread and butter tree work, magazine articles, family, etc etc.
Its a busy life.
Happy Halloween Booo!

Ok I can say that the Rope Knight is not for me. I received it from Eric (EMR) a few weeks ago and have sent it on to Stephen (cursedvoyce) today. I liked the packaging, did not care for all the parts even tho they are easily assembled and disassembled, the throw feel for me was like throwing an adjustable wrench, I did notice a little wobble but nothing major, as far as tight crotches go the RK did not get a fair shake because I don't target them and my silver maple does not have any as I have cut them out. So that's my story and I am sticking to it.

Looking forward to trying it out. I am going to keep an open mind Jeff. The Gray pines are what it should shine in. I will give a full report after holidays. And anyone that as read my New Tribe logs, knows I mean what I say and say what I mean with little question, fair shake and open mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back